Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Compaq 5150

• Please log in to reply

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Info from Intellinet about card

Automatically negotiates optimal network speed
Boot ROM socket
Full duplex for maximum bandwidth
Via VT6105 chipset
Bus mastering for high performance and low CPU utilization
IEEE 802.3 10Base-T and 802.3u 100Base-TX compliant
LED for link and activity
PCI V 2.1 or higher bus architecture
Driver/software support for Windows? 95/98/2000/Me/XP and NT, Novell? and Linux

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

At Renew All - nothing happens except I get a small flag noting - An application named Win32 Kernel core component (file name KERNEL32.DLL) has been blocked from accessing the network)

Where is this flag coming from? What program is prompting this? Please disable, or if possible, temporarily uninstall this application. Once uninstalled/disabled, restart your computer and then attempt a new connection, with the release and renew if necessary. Any change?

Could you please clear some things up for me.. I believe that in either this topic, or your other topic, you spoke of a lightning surge.. You have now disabled that Adapter, plugged in your new ethernet adapter, installed the software, and you're still unable to connect, correct? Have you ever been able to connect this new ethernet adapter to your modem? Just a little confused as it's hard to keep track of both topics.

What OS is running on your laptop? When you have your laptop connected to your modem at home, can you please post the following information: it's IP Address, Default Gateway, DNS Servers and Subnet Mask.

ping 72.14.207.99
4 sent, 4 lost

And you're sure that this was 4 packets sent, 4 packets lost?

Please also follow these steps to ensure that you have the appropriate protocols installed:
  • Click "Start," point to "Settings," and click "Control Panel."
  • Double-click "Network":
    • If "TCP/IP" appears in the "Network" dialog box, go to step 3.
    • If TCP/IP is not listed, look for your Ethernet adapter and select it, and then click "Add...." Select "Protocol" from the list of choices, and click "Add...." In the next dialog box, under "Manufacturers," select "Microsoft" and under "Network Protocols" select "TCP/IP." Click "OK" and go to step 3.
  • Select "TCP/IP" from the list of network components listed in the "Network" dialog box, then click the "Properties" button.
    • Click "Obtain an IP Address Automatically."
    • Values within the WINS and Gateway tabs should be blank.
    • Click "OK" to return to the Network dialog box. If prompted to insert your Windows 95/98*Guest CD-ROM, do so.
    • If you see "Client for Microsoft Network" in the list of installed components, skip to the last step.
      If you do not see "Client for Microsoft Network" in the list of installed components, click "Add."
    • Select "Client" and then click "Add."
    • Select "Microsoft" from the "Manufacturers" list.
    • Select "Client for Microsoft Networks" from the "Network Clients" list and then click "OK."
    • From the "Primary Network Logon" pull-down box select "Client for Microsoft Networks."
    • Click "OK." (You may be asked to insert the WIN95/98*Guest CD-ROM or diskettes before proceeding.)
    • You will be prompted to restart your computer for the new settings to take effect. Click "Yes."

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Sorry for the delay - 3 days working 12 hours! My job usually keeps me inside and lots of the past three days has been outside!

Whew! Let's see - the flag may be from some virus or firewall program. I'm just going to ignore it because it does not come up all the time.
In DOS I did disable onboard LAN. New card installed. Install Wizard downloaded software. Have not been able to connect.
Yes, that was correct. At that point 4 packets lost.
I'm using my work laptop. It's Mac with OS X. I use it remotely a good bit. It is set for remote.
Using DHCP -
That's all the numbers.

With my ISP tech help - have done the Run>Command>ipconfig seems we've done renew and many other things. All addresses are showing zeros. We've run WinsockFix, restarted - still nothing. They say it appears my winsock files are not working and need to be replaced. Any help on getting that done??

Again, I may sound computer savvy but I'm not. I just pick up what I get from you guys - SOOO I hope I've correctly relayed what has happened with tech help.

Much thanks for the help!

Now on to work! I'll check tonight or tomorrow.
Lloyd

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Sorry for the delay - 3 days working 12 hours! My job usually keeps me inside and lots of the past three days has been outside!

Whew! Let's see - the flag may be from some virus or firewall program. I'm just going to ignore it because it does not come up all the time.
In DOS I did disable onboard LAN. New card installed. Install Wizard downloaded software. Have not been able to connect.
Yes, that was correct. At that point 4 packets lost.
I'm using my work laptop. It's Mac with OS X. I use it remotely a good bit. It is set for remote.
Using DHCP -
That's all the numbers.

With my ISP tech help - have done the Run>Command>ipconfig seems we've done renew and many other things. All addresses are showing zeros. We've run WinsockFix, restarted - still nothing. They say it appears my winsock files are not working and need to be replaced. Any help on getting that done??

Again, I may sound computer savvy but I'm not. I just pick up what I get from you guys - SOOO I hope I've correctly relayed what has happened with tech help.

Much thanks for the help!

Now on to work! I'll check tonight or tomorrow.
Lloyd

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
OK, does this mean anything??
Device manager shows Dial-Up and VIA Rhine adapter (for new NIC)
Network adapter shows Dial-Up, VIA Rhine and PCI DEC (which was integrated NIC - that is disabled in BIOS). Also shows TCP/IP Dial-Up and PCI DEC adapters.
When using TuneUp - Customize & Analyze > System Information under tab Communication - the only adapter showing is Dial-up adapter.

Next suggestion?

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
5 days off! (I hope)

Anyone agree that winsock files are my problem? If so, anyone want to tackle that?

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Alrighty, sorry for the delay chief. As said in the PM, I'm going to get you to re-install everything related to Networking and/or Communication. Please read through all of the steps before you try them -- if there is anything you're unsure of, then please make a post, and I will try to answer your question asap.

*Note: You will need to have access to your Windows 98 installation CD and the network card drivers install CD or floppy before you attempt any of these steps. It may also be a good idea to disconnect the computer from all Ethernet cables.
  • Right-click Network Neighborhood.
  • Select Properties.
  • You should now see a list of all Network Cards. Select each Network Card and choose Remove. Repeat this step until all Network Cards have been uninstalled.
    • Remove the TCP/IP protocol from the card(s) if it does not disappear with the network card entry. Click OK. Do NOT reboot yet.
    • Click Start --> Settings --> click Control Panel, and then double-click Network.
    • For each installed instance of TCP/IP, record all the settings, and then remove all TCP/IP-related network components from Network properties. It may also be a good idea to remove any other protocol installed, to ensure that you do not have redundant protocols. Once done, click Cancel, so that your computer does not reboot yet.
  • Right-click My Computer and select Properties --> Hardware --> Device Manager.
  • Verify that the network cards are gone. Do NOT reboot yet. If the Network Cards are still present, remove them.
  • Click Start --> Run. Type in: regedit <Press Enter>.
  • Navigate to the following Keys -- Export and delete them:
    *Note: To export a key, highlight the key and then select File --> Export.. -- Once exported, delete each key by highlighting it, right-clicking and then selecting Delete.
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VXD\AFVXD
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VXD\DHCP
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VXD\MSTCP
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VXD\Winsock
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VXD\Winsock2
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\RemoteAccess\Authentication\SMM_Files
  • Exit regedit and reboot the system. These keys should be automatically re-created upon reboot.
  • Upon reboot, your Network card should be detected. Insert your CD/floppy with the network card drivers. Proceed to install your Network Card -- ensure that you only install your current network card drivers; do not install multiple Network Cards.
  • Once you have your Network Card installed, click Start --> Settings --> click Control Panel, and then double-click Network.
  • Click Add, click Protocol, and then click Add again. Click Microsoft in the Manufacturer box, click TCP/IP, and then click Add.
  • Click Add, click Client, and then click Add again. Select Microsoft in the Manufacturer box, click Client for Microsoft Networks, and then click OK. From the Primary Network Logon pull-down box select Client for Microsoft Networks. Click OK.
  • Click Start --> Settings --> click Control Panel, and then double-click Network.
  • Select your Network Adapter --> Click the Bindings tab, and then verify that the TCP/IP check box has been selected. If the TCP/IP check box has not been selected, click to select the TCP/IP check box, and then click OK.
  • Reboot your computer.
Upon reboot, reconnect your computer to the Ethernet cable -- try to connect; are you able to? If not, try to powercycle your hardware --
  • Power off your computer(s).
  • Shutdown / unplug your modem.
  • Shutdown / unplug your router.
  • Wait two minutes.
  • Power on your modem. Wait until the modem is completely restarted before the next step. This may take upward of two minutes.
  • Power on your router. Wait until the router completely restarts. This also can take upward of two minutes.
  • Power on your computer.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hello,
ohhhh, right from the start - - Network Neighborhood? Is that an XP thing? My OS is Win98.
Are you talking Start>Settings>Control Panel>Network, open to Configuration?
Or right click My Computer>System Properties, open Network adapters then remove items from Configuration window?
It appears I will have to go the Start>Settings route but I want to be positive before removing anything. While reading your note it appears you go in another way (that I don't follow) before you go the Start>Settings way.

Remove ONLY items related to Network cards correct? Leave Dial-Up and DSL modem adapters alone.

Remove TCP/IP adapters that go with NIC? I have adapters for two NIC but only one TCP/IP for NIC.
What about the Client for Microsoft Networks - that one was added?

The rest of it I understand - well, at this point! At least I have my laptop on the desk with the desktop PC and can follow your detailed instructions.

Straighten me out on where to go then I'll get into it!

Thanks,
Lloyd

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

ohhhh, right from the start - - Network Neighborhood? Is that an XP thing? My OS is Win98.

It's been a while since I've dabbled in Windows 98, but I'm pretty sure there should be a Network Neighborhood on the Desktop, right below My Computer? Maybe not :whistling:

Are you talking Start>Settings>Control Panel>Network, open to Configuration?
Or right click My Computer>System Properties, open Network adapters then remove items from Configuration window?
It appears I will have to go the Start>Settings route but I want to be positive before removing anything. While reading your note it appears you go in another way (that I don't follow) before you go the Start>Settings way.

Yes, it will be fine if you do it this way.

Remove ONLY items related to Network cards correct? Leave Dial-Up and DSL modem adapters alone.

Correct.

Remove TCP/IP adapters that go with NIC? I have adapters for two NIC but only one TCP/IP for NIC.

After you uninstall your adapters, the TCP/IP protocol should really be removed with them; if not, then remove it. It's easy to re-install later on.

What about the Client for Microsoft Networks - that one was added?

If it's already installed, please remove it also, and then re-install it after you have installed your Network Adapter -- if there are any other protocols installed, you really shouldn't need them.

Also, when you restart the computer and you're prompted for the New Hardware, please make sure that you only install the Adapter software for your new adapter; do not re-install the old (inbuilt) network adapter software.

If there's anything else, or if I didn't answer clear enough, please let me know. I really don't mind, as it's better to be safe than sorry here.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Ohhhh you're going to just love this! I have never used Network Neighborhood so imagine my embarrassment when after you said it was on the desktop - yep, there it was! Never seen that sucker in the 7 or 8 years of having this computer!!
Soooo, I'm diving into your instructions after I send this!!

Lloyd

Advertisements

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hmmm,
Right click Network Properties and removed adapters, TCP/IP also disappeared. Also removed the Client setting.
When I went Start>Settings . . . no NIC adapters or TCP/IP show, nor the Client setting. I have the Microsoft Family Logon (that came with computer when new), I have Dial-Up Adapter, Westell Modem (DSL modem) and TCP/IP->Dial-Up Adapter.

I was going through recording information about Network information items, when I got down to the TCP/IP->Dial-Up, I get a flag on TCP Properties Information noting {they are unique to the specific network, it's better to set TCP/IP properties in each connection icon which calls a network. Otherwise properties set for adapter will override the per-connection settings. Connections icons found in Dial-Up Networking folder under Start Accessories. Right click icon to see properties sheet, select Server Type then TCP/IP settings.} I just wanted to bring that out in case it means there is yet another connection to this setting that needs to be removed.

I'm copying info and will remove Dial-Up and Westell - Dial-Up removed the three settings other than Westell. Removed Westell.

Going to regedit

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
OK - now I'm at regedit. When I highlight a key I do not have File to choose from to then select Export. Under Registry I have Export Registry File, it wants to know where to Export it. Do I need to Export it to any certain location?

I'm waiting at this point.

In Registry Editor, after the first Key item to remove - all the others have several sub-folders, still delete the folder as you request, yes?

I'll check again in 10 or 11 hours - family and sleep!

Edited by bamakodaker, 03 June 2006 - 09:37 PM.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Alright, change of plan; please remove all Adapters, including Diaul-up and the Modem adapter.

OK - now I'm at regedit. When I highlight a key I do not have File to choose from to then select Export. Under Registry I have Export Registry File, it wants to know where to Export it. Do I need to Export it to any certain location?

Just export it to a safe place, in case something goings wrong and you need to import it back into the registry.

In Registry Editor, after the first Key item to remove - all the others have several sub-folders, still delete the folder as you request, yes?

Correct.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
OK, store to a safe space - on computer or on floppy? Hmmm, while checking for empty floppies the other night a label came off - and I didn't know it. Put a couple of floppies in that I knew were good, they weren't working though!? Got flashlight, looked inside, found label inside! Got gem clip bent where it would grab and pull label out. Floppy drive didn't work. Pulled the drive, opened it and found part of reader unit bent and broken!! Went to local computer place, bought used one, came home put it in - - it used different sized screws from the old unit!!! FINALLY found some that will do! Put computer back together - - eject button is different from old. Old won't work!! Shave parts, try, shave, try - give up! I'll just reach inside with pencil to hit eject button! DONE! Close case up - - it won't close!! New drive sticks out too far!!! ARRRGGH! At least one side will close and that's good enough!
NOW on to that new delete suggestion!

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
OOOOHHHhhhh just give me a gun!!! Computer's been on for 3 days while I was at a hold - I couldn't restart it.
To do the floppy change I had to disconnect the cables at back - monitor, mouse and such. I put it back together and it was about 15 minutes later that I got back to computer - then discovered I had swapped plugs for keyboard and mouse. I switched them - and neither would work! I replugged, verified, made sure board was in place for plugs to seat good - all was as should be. Mouse and keyboard would not work though. I saw nothing else to do but restart.

It goes to the Win98 Startup Menu. If I select 1 for Normal - - - AVG does a bootup scan, all is well there. I believe Windows is about to start up when I get a DOS window stating - While initializing device TEEFER: Invalid VcD dynamic link call to device number 28, service 800A. Your Windows configuration is invalid. Run the Windows Setup program again to correct the problem. Press any key to continue. If I don't do anything it just shuts off. If I press the space bar it shuts off. Same for return. I'm going to try Safe Mode.

Got in Safe Mode - verified adapters and network cards removed. Copied and deleted Registry Keys. Now can only start in Safe Mode dure to TEEFER problem.

Any suggestions? Or just get a gun??

:blink:

After 5:20pm here, gone to get wife and my car. HOPEFULLY at least the car can Get repaired!! Now if only the wife could be!!!! :whistling: