Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Compaq 5150

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Part of the Sygate Personal Firewall. teefer.vxd is located in "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\" on Windows 95/98/ME.

Can you start in safe mode, stop the firewall if it is Sygate, look for the option to stop it loading at start up then see if it windows loads normally

Advertisements

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
It is in safe mode but I have no idea how to stop Sygate from loading. I'm always open for instructions!

Well, I went for the step-by-step at start up, got to the TEEFER part and seleceted NO. Windows has started up.

I guess the question is how to fix that TEEFER part! Ummmmm, but I might need to wait till I got the other part fixed first though!!

Edited by bamakodaker, 05 June 2006 - 08:08 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, programmes, Sygate, is there an option / preferences to stop it loading at start up

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Sygate wouldn't open in Safe Mode. I hope that what I did will get me to where I need to go!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you can start in safe mode with networking, Sygate should open

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Safe Mode with networking?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Sorry about that, in safe mode, can you click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, click start up, remove the ticks for Sygate, click apply and reboot to see if it loads

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Made changes, selected Apply, it rebooted, noted TEEFER problem, hit a key and puter shut off. Restarted, now in Safe Mode

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, click start up, click disable all, click apply and reboot

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Sorry about the delays - things happening here at home. I finally realized I have a live-time response so I'm here full time now!
Did as suggested, Rebooted, got TEEFER notice. Started computer - - Startup Menu options - hit 1 to try regular Startup - I cleared all check marks but still have AVG checking boot - got the TEEFER notice, computer shut off. Restarted, now in Safe Mode

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got important data on the PC

Have you got the installation software for al the installed programmes on the PC

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
The TEEFER thing is brand new. I thought maybe that might be from some of the items I removed. Dan was giving instructions on what to delete and said do not restart computer. I had the problem and had to restart. At restart I got TEEFER notice for first time.

Yes, I have important things on HD.

I have Compaq's QuickRestore - it's their version of software install CD.

Edited by bamakodaker, 05 June 2006 - 09:19 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got a 98 CD

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
No, this was factory refurb. Came with their own do-it-all CD. It has Win98 software on it though.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
The Selective QuickRestore CD allows -
Full Restore - returns to original preinstalled software state, reformats your hard drive
Typical Restore - reinstalls your basic Compaq drivers and applications without reformatting your hard drive
Custom Restore - allows you to select which Compaq drivers or applications you want to reinstall without reformatting your hard drive