Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Compaq 5150

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, click autoexec.bat, if there is a Sygate entry, remove the tick, click apply and reboot

Advertisements

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
I've checked and under Autoexec.bat - there is nothing with Sygate in it.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is sygate on the CD

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Am I remembering correctly? I downloaded it through Geekstogo??

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you tried removing the Sygate Firewall from Settings > Add/Remove Programs?

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Well, you got me thinking. I'm not sure where I got the Sygate from!! Therefore, I'm not sure how to reinstall it!

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
I can't access CD reader - could Sygate have been part of my Norton SystemWorks 2002? I don't have Norton's installed.
I can't find what version I have but I see I can download free version of 5.6.

Just go ahead and remove Sygate as was suggested??

Edited by bamakodaker, 05 June 2006 - 10:12 PM.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Sygate removed, start up progressed, I'm at desktop.

Now what to do?? I'm looking at Dan's suggestions of removing Registry Keys. I thought he said they would be reinstalled at start-up. It's been restarted several times. I see no keys reappear after Start-up. Computer has not noticed NIC as new hardware. I kinda thought it would notice "new" floppy drive but it's shown no note about it.

I notice I do not have Network Neighborhood on desktop now.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did you get an installation cd with your new network card? Now would be a good time to try running that if you have it.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Since computer does not recognize NIC as new, Installation Wizard does not start up. I do not know how to get floppy software to download. I have read documents on floppy and know which icon is the driver for Win98 but I don't know what to do with it.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Go to Device Manager...is the network card listed at all?

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Going in by right clicking My Computer - I see no Network card listed.
The case is off my computer, the card looks seated. I've pushed on it and it seems to give a little, restarting - -
thru right click Computer - no network adapters show. (those were earlier all removed)
Start>Settings - to Network - nothing shows (empty) in Configuration.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Can you move the card to a different slot (preferable) or remove it completely and reinstall it? Does your machine now detect the new hardware?

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
I'll give that a try.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
OK, took out card, rebooted, turned off, installed card (noted that IF I used screw to hold card to cabinet it seemed to pull and might pull a corner of the card out of seat so screw is not used), it notes new hardware. Install Wiz does not open, Install New Hardware opens. Then Insert Disk - reads: The file 'netvt.cat' on Network Adapter source disk cannot be found. Setup could not find a file on the specified path. If path appears below, make sure it is correct. Click OK to try copying again. At bottom is pull down window with: C:\WINDOWS\temp\Q312339. At right I have OK, Cancel, Skip File, Details and Browse. Thru Browse I can only get to C drive, not floppy.
I'm getting sleepy, sorry.
At pull down I see A, I'll try that.

Edited by bamakodaker, 05 June 2006 - 11:35 PM.