Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Compaq 5150

• Please log in to reply

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
It copied from floppy.
I now get message: A file being copied is older than the file currently on computer. File: msnet32.dll (part of Microsoft 32-bit Network API Library.
I'm going to keep file on computer. OK?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
In regards to the registry keys - my bad :whistling: I've been working with NT-based systems too long; the keys won't be recreated upon reboot. To recreate the keys, (do this when you get a free chance.. It will require a reboot.) please open Control Panel, double-click Add/Remove programs, click the Windows Setup tab, double click Communications, and then click to select the Dial-Up Networking check box --> Click OK, click Apply, click OK, and then restart the computer. The keys should be recreated at this point.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
I let program do what it needed to, I just pointed it to A drive and it pulled needed files automatically and also restarted. It started up - then shut off. Started again, at Startup Menu I'm trying regular startup - - I'm there.

Right click My Computer, find network adapter with correct adapter.
Start>Settings - - in Configuration I have Client for Microsoft Networks, the Rhine adapter and a listing for TCP/IP (no further name).

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
I've checked the Registry Keys that should have re-appeared - - not everything did.
Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VXD - I do not see a file for Winsock (I have 2 but not plain)
Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\RemoteAccess\Authentication - I do not see SMM_files. I have Class and Drivers showing.

Should I continue with directions from Post 22 after the part about removing Reg Keys?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...start with ---> "Once you have your Network Card installed, click Start --> Settings..."

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Dan,

I went to Communications - several things are already checked, Dial-Up Networking, Direct Cable Connection, Hyper Terminal, Phone Dialer. No I need to deselect all except Dial-Up Networking THEN Restart? Do I need to come back to this Config window and Reselect those other items?

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Am I correct? Even though I noted in Network Config I have - Client for Microsoft, Rhine Ethernet adapter, and TCP/IP showing that I should STILL follow instructions from "Once you have your Network Card installed"?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Just check to make sure the settings are set as Dan suggested and set up your connection... :whistling:

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
What about missing Reg Keys I noted earlier in Post 65?
AND Post 67?
Items changed due to Post 22.

Edited by bamakodaker, 06 June 2006 - 12:30 AM.

Advertisements

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Going to reboot and try connecting thru new NIC

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
:woot: :whistling: :help: :woot: :blink: :)
LET IT BE KNOWN GEEKSTOGO HAS ONCE AGAIN BEATEN THE GREMLINS!!!!!!!
I am back on my desktop! Connected thru new NIC etc.

I guess it's mop up time! What about all the items I've removed, unchecked and so on?

I'm 3 hours past bed time so I'm to loopy to chase it now. I am EVER so greatful to all those who helped!!

REMEMBER - Back up your data and use SURGE PROTECTION!! Stay safe!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Fantastic! :whistling:

I agree...it's past my bedtime, too. We can sort the rest of this out later. Good Job!

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Definitely good news :whistling:

The keys that re-appeared are the 'core' keys that you need; if you notice any loss of connectivity/functionality, then you should simply import the keys that were not recreated back into the registry.. Assuming of course that you did export them to a safe location :blink:

As to the items that I asked you to uncheck/remove, the majority of these were simply redundant/extras. In my opinion, it's better to start with the basics / core components, and if you notice anything not working as it should, then you can build from there. When you try to add everything at once, something invariably goes wrong. However, at this point, I'd say that the majority of things should work A-OK, and you shouldn't really notice the missing components. If of course they do cause a problem later on, I'm sure GeeksToGo will still be around to lend a helping hand :help:

Glad to hear things at least appear to be working as they should be :)

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
OK, to start with I re-read this entire thread.

Yes, I did remove those Registry Keys to a safe place - AND I actually FOUND them! In folder on C drive and on floppy. (Yes, I still use floppy on old computer. During this "crisis" I ordered new puter w/o floppy drive, just CD)

Strange to me I removed an adapter for DSL modem, we did not put it back in, it's not there - but it's working!

After removing things I was told to have Win98 CD and NIC floppy ready, that computer would ask for it. It did NOT ask for Win98 CD - so, am I missing anything from that which should be on computer now?

Several items were unchecked that were starting up when computer turned on. They were virus protection and such, seems there was some registry check at startup also. Anyway - none of those show now. They were items I was told/suggested to get by GTG for virus protection. Is there a location on GTG that shows suggested protection software that one should commonly have?

Am I going to keep hearing someone say - If it ain't broke, don't fix it??

We'll reinstall wireless so my son can get online with his Linksys wireless. We will set it to the safe setting per their instructions. He has firewall. Connection to my desktop will be on all the time. At this time I have no firewall since we deleted Sygate. I need a firewall, suggestion? (I'm cheap so what's good and free?) Will same type work for Win98 and XP Home?

I need to look at Words of Wisdom at bottom of wannabe1's posts - I need to remember them!

MUCH THANKS to all the help I've received!!