Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power supply gone third time!

• Please log in to reply

master_with_a_problem

master_with_a_problem

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Ok so I was using my computer about 8 months ago, after installing a new stick of r.a.m. (1 gig total w/ old stick and new stick. They were different brands and types but the new one was down-clocked to 333) when I had to leave the house, I decided hey ill just leave BF2 running, my computer probably won't crash due to the video card to mobo compatability issue*.
So when I get home the computer was of but the blue light in the front of the case was on and the small green light on my mobo was on but everything else was off. I hit the power button, nothing. I unplugg the computer. Plug it back in, green light on the mobo is on, but when I hit the power button fans start to spin weakly for about .5 a second then nothing. I try hooking up the power supply to another computer, nothing first two times I try then third vwala! powers back.
This prob. happenes again, although I dont rescue the power supply, I get a new power supply. Happens again with a dif/ new stick of ra.m. in. so I get another power supply (their all by ultra but the newer two were different models) never put the newer r.a.m. back in. but yesterday w/ out new ram after 8 months of crashes here and their w/ one windows install, and r.a.m. not being put back in right once, the power supply doesnt work once again!
WHAT THE [bleep].

* Soyo Kt-600 mobo is what I have and its not compatible with Nvidia FX series at 8x, SOYO LIED its actually cant run at 8x at all but older 8x cards would use the same voltage as the 4x cards, so I was screwed, I just deal with in game crashes now, windows is stable 98% of the time although it has crashed.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The ultra PS's for the most part are OK(middle of the road in quality) so it makes me think you are underpowered on the watts. Even the good PS's cannot run steady at their rated wattage. Instead they will run at 2/3 to 3/4 full power for long periods at a time. So if you need close to 300 watts to run a game and you have a rated 400 watt PS you still may not have enough power to keep running, something overheats and the PS fails.

Heres a review of the Ultra V series PS's.

http://www.jonnyguru...s/V-Series.html

So i would step up to a higher wattage PS or buy a better quality one. Seasonic or enermax are better quality PS's but you do pay for the quality. One of the top of the line PS's is the PC power and cooling ones.

I have replaced 30 to 40 PS's in the last couple of years. As computers get more powerful the PS's are not keeping up very well.

SRX660