Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleted Virus Causing Problems

• Please log in to reply

caguirre

caguirre

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I had a virus which was found by norton. It was a rundll32 virus. I deleted it, but now i cannot access my control panel, change settings, uninstall programs.

when i try to open my control panel, it reads:

Windows cannot find 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe'.Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click search.

I already tried a system restore, but the program will not start up. I also tried re-installing XP but the re-install does not complete. I would really like to avoid formatting and re-installing everything. Please Help!

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi caguirre! Welcome to G2G!

Go to START-->RUN and type cmd and hit OK. In the new window that appears type the following EXACTLY and hit ENTER:
  • copy c:\windows\system32\dllcache\rundll32.exe c:\windows\system32
Now check and see if you can open the control panel and such.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 14 May 2006 - 06:52 PM.

caguirre

caguirre

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thanks for the help! although, i did what you told me to and it says " the system cannot find the file specified"

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Do you have Service Pack 2 installed on your computer? You can find this out by click on START and then right-clicking on MY COMPUTER and selecting PROPERTIES. In the new window that appears, the GENERAL tab should be selected. Click on it if it isn't. You will then be able to see the version of windows that is installed on your computer. Something like:

System:
Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Fenor

caguirre

caguirre

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I cant right click on my computer.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
That's strange, but okay....... Go to START-->RUN and type sysdm.cpl and click OK. The SYSTEM PROPERTIES window should appear. Follow the instructions from my last post once you get here and post the information I asked about.

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
One question.... You said you attempted to do a repair installation of windows but couldn't. Exactly how far into the repair process did you get? Please tell me exactly what you did and what the computer did during the failed repair installation attempt.

Fenor

caguirre

caguirre

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I got to the point where windows wants to reboot/restart. The comp restarted but stated that my disk drive could not be found. I had to run start up windows in XP home edition.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Sorry for the delay, but got a call from work I had to take...

Now getting back to your problem...

If you got to that point, that means that it deleted the windows files and copied the new ones back in, but didn't set them up properly which isn't a good thing. What I want you to do is restart Windows Setup again but loading the cd (aka pressing a key when the press any key to boot from cd... screen appears). On the first screen that appears, hit R to enter the Recovery Console. Then you will have to hit 1 to log into your windows installation and then just hit Enter for the Administrator password because it is normally blank unless you changed it. Once you are at the command prompt C:\WINDOWS I want you to type chkdsk /p /r. This will do a scan of your hard drive and repair/replace any errors it finds. After it is done, type EXIT and your computer will reboot. When it restarts retry to do a REPAIR INSTALLATION of windows and let me know how far you get this time.

BEFORE DOING THIS, IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO BACK UP ANY FILES (PICTURES, MP3s, DOCUMENTS, ETC...) THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO SAVE IN CASE ANYTHING GOES WRONG

I don't expect anything to go wrong, but it's always better to be safe then sorry.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 14 May 2006 - 09:36 PM.