Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Display Driver

• Please log in to reply

Smos

Smos

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Just last night I restarted my computer from installing updates from Microsoft, and when the windows logon came back up. It was way out of resolution. So I logged on and it is at 640 by 480 at 4 bit. I tried to change it and it won't change. I'll attach a snap shot of it.
Please help me..thanks.

Attached Files

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It sounds like a update has killed your video drivers. I would reload the drivers again and see if it works. It may be that you will have to uninstall one of the updates to be able to even make redownloaded drivers work. First try reinstalling the video drivers. If you have a drivers CD that came with the computer use it. If you don't have a drivers CD go to the motherboard makers or the computer manufacturers website and find the video drivers to download them. There should be instructions somewhere on how to install them.

If you have a video card find the latest drivers for that card at the video card makers website and download them and install them. I don't know about ATI but with Nvidia you must uninstall your old drivers before installing new drivers. To uninstall the old drivers you will need to go to device manager and delete the display adapter there. Windows will revert to the Windows standard drivers after a reboot. You then need to find the downloaded video drivers and double click it to install the new drivers.

If even new drivers fail , you may have to find the update that caused the problem and uninstall it. You will need to read up about the updates and look for any that had to do with video or display. The uninstall program will be in the windows folder for each update. Each uninstall will have the updates microsoft number in the file name of the update which you can look up at their website to read about the driver.

SRX660

Smos

Smos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I did try to reinstall the driver, but it did fail. So I am going to try to uninstall the update. Because, last night I did install an update from microsoft saying something about Nvidia. But I am not sure how to uninstall the update. How do I find out what type of video card I have??

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Right-click MY COMPUTER and left-click on PROPERTIES. In the new window that appears, click on the HARDWARE tab and then click on the DEVICE MANAGER button. In the new window that appears, click the '+' symbol next to DISPLAY ADAPTERS. Your display adapter should be listed. Right-click on it and select PROPERTIES. In the new window that appears, click on the DRIVER tab and then click on ROLL BACK DRIVER. Click YES/OK to the message asking if you are sure you want to roll back the driver. You will then be asked to reboot your computer. Do so, and when your computer reboots your display settings should be back to normal and you should also be able to change the settings for the screen resolution, etc... in the DISPLAY PROPERTIES.

Fenor

Smos

Smos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Ok, I got it fixed...THANK YOU ALOT!!!! :whistling: