Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Harddrive

• Please log in to reply

samdabull

samdabull

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
ok so i go to device manager it's there... i go to bios it's there.. I click start, my computer it's not there....
anybody has a answer to this???

Advertisements

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
go to start>run and type compmgmt.msc . then go to disk management. is it there?. if it is and its a new drive right click on it and select format.

samdabull

samdabull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
it's there but format is not an option.... & even if it was would formatting it erase everything it has?...
it says disk o not initionalized... i right click initialize but nothing happens... this drive has my music pics everything... it was working about an hour ago all of the sudden it disapears..

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
FYI, it is important to give as much information as possible so as to get the correct answer. In this case, that the disk had been used and suddenly can not be accessed. Otherwise people might assume that it was a new disk and give you instructions based on that, which would not be good since it could wipe out the data.

Go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management. In there go
to Disk Management.

Check to see if the system thinks that it is partitioned. It might be that something happened to wipe out the partition table, but that would not affect the data. Post the results back and we can go from there. It is possible to create a new partition without affecting the data, but not through the normal means.

Do NOT attempt to create a partition since it will want to write to the partition and that could advsersely affect your ability to access the data.

You might also want to see if the manufacturer has a diagnostic program to test the disk, just in case it is a problem with the disk.

What is the history behind this? Did you have a problem with a virus or something? Was anything being done around the time you could not access this disk?