Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows will not boot

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
No need to install it on another PC, the product key is the thing you need, your local microsoft office will confirm you can re-install it

What did it do when you tried to repair with enter on screen one, then F8 then R

Advertisements

twolfe87

twolfe87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Ok, I do have the product key.

Those steps take me to where I was before. The screen where I choose the partition to repair (where I found C: is Empty). I choose C:, press enter and it says the drive is damaged or of an incompatible format or something, and it warns me about reformatting.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have all the software, the only thing is to check with microsoft but I'm certain office is re-installable with what you have

Then it's re-install XP

http://www.petri.co....dows_xp_pro.htm

http://www.windowsre...stall/index.htm

twolfe87

twolfe87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Ok, How do I contact Microsoft, and what am I supposed to ask them?

I'll try to get around to the reinstall in the next two days, pretty busy with work.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you click contact us, just above the hand it should give the page for your location, if not, got to microsoft.com, click contact us

http://support.micro...tus/?ws=support

You just need to confirm the edition you have is re-installable

It must be but better to check

twolfe87

twolfe87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Hey,

My parents paid for the computer and are a little eager to send it in for service.

Could hardware cause this sort of thing? Is there any way I could check for damage to the hardware?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It would depend on the cost of service, if the PC is within warranty then go ahead and have it looked at, hardware is a possibility

twolfe87

twolfe87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Ok, I just got done chatting with dell, they had me run this diagnostics thing. Apparently my hard drive has gone bad. I should have a new one in 2-3 days.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That's good news in a way

twolfe87

twolfe87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Yes, I guess, It's under warranty so I'm not paying for it. At least now I know what's wrong.

I didn't lose anything too important, so I'm not too bummed. I guess I need to learn how to back things up though, the program in your signature, winbackup, I believe. It's good for this sort of thing?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Yes that will do fine

You might want to have a play with it before you get the new drive