Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intel Centrino Mobile & A Wireless Network

• Please log in to reply

pccromeo

pccromeo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
My friend got a Toshiba notebook for a graduation present with an Intel Centrino Mobile processor. Her DSL provider (Alltel) set up a wireless network in their home 6 months ago for their 3 existing desktop PCs. They all have the wireless network card installed in them and work fine. I showed her the LinkSys 802.11g wireless card at our local department store to use with her notebook. She bought it and paid $49.24 + tax for it but someone else told her that she did not need to use that card and that her notebook already came with one in it. Is this possible? My sister bought an HP notebook with and Intel Celeron Mobile processor and still had to buy a wireless card. My friend's family is incredibly tight with their money so they are completely determined to not open that LinkSys wireless card until they are 110% positive that they have to.

Advertisements

Max-T

Max-T

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
you shouldnt have to buy a PCI card for the notebook if it has built in, (from what i gather this is what centrino is)

see what she has under network connections. with my laptop i bought atleast 3 years ago didnt need a card.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the centrino technology refers to the processor...not all mobile pcs with the centrino stuff have wireless cards (why laptops still come without wireless cards i wouldn't know but)....do as max suggested and look in the network connections area and see if you see a wireless card there (right click on my network places > properties> you should see a list of network devices..if the wireless isn't there...then you don't have it)

pccromeo

pccromeo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Okay...Thanks. That does seem rather stupid that they don't come with one. I just figured where hers (as did my sisters) had the slot for an external one it didn't have one already in it.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well..the pcmcia slot that you're talking about isn't just for wireless cards ...there are a lot of devices that use that kind of "slot" from card readers to ethernet cards to tv tuners and audio cards..