Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP - Formatting Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

thewitty

thewitty

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I am attempting to reformat my hard drive and am experiencing difficulties.

When I go to MY Computer and attempt to format the drive I am told I cannot because the Volume is still in use. I have tried opening up the MS-Dos command window. Type in format c: , which has also worked in the past I am sure but says the same.

I cannot boot into DOS as I do not have a floppy drive. I have tried booting up in safe mode to include the command window but this too gives me the same message.

What I can't understand is that I have formatted drives before without this problem -

Any advice?

Thanks in advance

Edited by thewitty, 24 December 2006 - 01:14 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Windows will not remove itself from within itself

To completely wipe the drive of all data and programmes, boot the laptop and keep tapping the delete key (possibly F2) until it enters set up, change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then Hard Drive, press F10 to save, type Y to confirm, insert the XP CD in to the ROM Drive then press enter, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter, look for install without repairing, (esc key usually), use default NTFS format, not quick

If you downloaded SP2 you will get a tab saying it cannot install because the current OS is newer than the one to be installed, if so, go to add / remove and uninstall SP2 then run set up

thewitty

thewitty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thank you very much Keith.