Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 2000 - odd problems

• Please log in to reply

hackergal

hackergal

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I have a client who has a primarily Windows 2000 environment and as each machine's anti-spyware is expiring I am installing the new Windows Defender. I have the gdi file and on some machines it installs and on others it will not. His office machines all have Win2k SP4 and the error I get is:

Posted Image

If you follow this link it takes you back to the page where it tells you about the gdi file which I have already put into the \winnt\system32 folder.

A second and very annoying problem is on one of the other machines in the add/remove programs option, all you can see is the little icon and no text on the right so there is basically a big white box with tiny icons all the way down the left side. I have no idea how to fix this problem so hopefully somebody here can advise me!

Any info about either of these problems would be appreciated.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
last first

start > run
regedit
<enter>

navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

You have a corrupt entry there somewhere....unfortunately, it will be a slow go as you match those programs that are in the list and the empty entry

--------------------

second issue.

This sounds familiar. Did you actually go to WINDOWS UPDATE?

I don't know what you mean by the gdi file, unless you're referring to the gdi patch for jpeg processing, but I am not sure why you think this is your issue

Unlike it's predecessor, Windows Defender updates itself using the Windows Update service

Part of the reason is that Defender is one of those programs that Microsoft only offers to people in Windows Genuine Advantage program, meaning that to get it, you need a genuine product (I am not saying these are illegal versions of Windows, I am just prefacing my remarks)

You error message even specifically notes :

A REQUIRED UPDATE FOR WINDOWS UPDATE......

That is what you need, not the gdi jpeg processing patch

hackergal

hackergal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks gerryf - I will go tomorrow and parse his registry - I think the defender issue is due to having IE5 still on some of those machines. I am going to get the download now at the office and see if it will help when I get to him tomorrow. The .dll is gdiplus.dll and it is required for the 2k machines - some of them have installed the defender no prob and others are having this other message. I have just taken this client over from another company so I am not 100% familiar with his network. Thanks and quick reply!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you are probably correct--the newest version of windows update I think requires IE6 or ie7

hackergal

hackergal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I also have a 2k pc here with SP4 on it - a P-III which according to the update page should be OK - I have just updated it to IE6 and it still will not load the Defender. You can't load the IE7 on the older Win2k machines - if I manage to sort this out I will post the reply!