Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

interconnecting- everything

• Please log in to reply

thero_cpd

thero_cpd

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
Im off to uni this year so i need to save space, at the moment i have 2 pcs which will be coming with me, is there anyway i can get a keyboard and mouse that can switch between the pcs with out me having to take out the plugs n put them back in or having to keyboards and mouses.

Also is there any wireing etc that could connect a dvd player to a monitor so i dont have to take a tv as well ( plus no tv licence :blink: )

thanks for any help

1 last thing, anyone know where i can get some cheap flat screen monitors? :whistling:

THANKS ALL! :help:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
you can get what's called a KVM switch to solve your computer issues...it will allow you to connect one monitor, keyboard, and mouse to two computers....as for the dvd jazz...do you mean how to play a dvd movie on a computer that doesn't have a dvd drive? instead of using a tv? if so you can get what's called a "tv tuner" card...that will accept input from a dvd player...that way you can play the movies on y our computer's screen...or you can just get a cheap dvd drive for your computer (saves space as well since you don't have another box lying around)

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
I agree with dsenette. Getting a KVM switch and a DVD drive, maybe a TV tuner card, is the way to go, but if you want to use a computer monitor for a TV monitor you can get a small device from ViewSonic which is basically a video switcher/converter/TV tuner. It has 4 inputs, computer, s-video, c-video, and coax for cable/antenna. You do need external speakers and a means of switching it (my speakers have two inputs, so it is not a problem).

Getting a computer TV tuner would also work, but what I like about the ViewSonic is that the computer does not have to be on and I have extra computer monitors.

thero_cpd

thero_cpd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
is there anyway of having 2 montiors, 1 per pc but just use the KVM switch on the keyboard and mouse? cos i kinda need to see wots happening on both pcs at same time and just switch the controls quickly between the 2 as needed,

OOOhhhh and simply out of curiousity (this aint related to the post) u no if u can make ur own keyboards? i fancy a little project to do :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i've never done such a thing..(never had to...) but i would assume that if you JUST hook the keyboard and mouse connections up on the KVM then yes...when you switch it would just switch the keyboard and mouse control... though...if you're gonna use up the space having two full systems set up...then why not just have the two keyboards and mice?

as far as the "make your own keyboard" if you had a full working electrical knowledge of how to make a keyboard y ou could indeed make one from scratch....or you can take apart an existing one and make your own from that...i once took a keyboard apart and built it into a nice oak desk for a friend...made individual wooden keys out of cherry with hand burned letters...the whole thing was recessed into the desktop...it was really nice....another friend did the same with his monitor...took all the guts out and put the crt and all the electronics into a hollowed out wooden stump that was finished really nice....it was awesome...then his house burned down and all was lost

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
Yes, you can connect just the keyboard and mouse. The reason for this is so that you don't have to move the keyboard and mouse around and/or get the wrong one :-).