Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

alas, css again!

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
on http://ec-labs.awardspace.com/, i want to fix the <p>(In todays...) so that the first line, although indented, ends at the same point as the rest of the lines. then i'll put that picture to the right of the <p> (of course i'll make it smaller in dimentions and kb).
the css i'm using for <p> is
	position:relative; left:15px;
	text-indent: 25px;

p.s. before i forget (i'll need it later on), how can i get the server to auto- detect what browser (and screen resolution, if possible!!!!) a client is using, so that based off the info it gets, it selects the appropriate css? if possible, w/o js, but give it as well if it exists, because some ppl have js disabled for unknown sites.

Edited by TaNkZ101, 15 May 2006 - 10:36 AM.

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
I don't know about your align problem, but for the browser screen detection etc, i think you may need some sort of javascript that can log it etc. Have a search of google.

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Since you site is down (well maybe not down I just can't open it, it maybe my wireless card), I can't help you with the css right now, I will post later on that.

The screen resolution can be done, with java script, but you sould realy write you css files so the reslution dose not matter. Use % instead of px, for example if I wan't to have a margin down the side of cenered content I will set the margin width to 20% and the content to 60% on a normal screen size this look good, and when the window is very small, there is still no horozonal scrolling. max-width:700px works well to. But I am saying all this with the "Problem loading page" error for your site.

For the borwser ditection php is a good choice (since I know you are interested in useing it). There is on flaw in browser dection though, Opera for some unknow reason thinks it thinks it is IE, so you always have to have a if Opera first, even if you leave it blank. Here is the code...
<?php extract($HTTP_GET_VARS); if(strpos($_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'], '[b]Opera[/b]') !== FALSE) { 
?>this is were you put the opera code, most I the time I don't put anything here since I am after IE<?php
} else if(strpos($_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'], '[b]MSIE[/b]') !== FALSE ) { 
this is were you put the <link type=text/css.....> to the IE code. 

You can change the 'MSIE' to 'MSIE 6' if you only want it to work for IE 6 or 'MSIE 5' for IE 5 .......

You can also put instead of the bold text
Gecko -- this is for Mozilla browsers

Edited by Michael, 15 May 2006 - 07:12 PM.

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Ok page loaded via a proxy, it was me.

Did you know that meta keywords is ignored by every major seach engin, no point in adding it in realy.

For the css problem I would use text-align:justify; to get all the text to end in the same place, it has nothing to do with the text indent.

The layout could do with a lot of work.

Edited by Michael, 15 May 2006 - 07:50 PM.