Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

uploading site - problems!

• Please log in to reply

clareb2005

clareb2005

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
Someone please help!

I've uploaded all components to my website but when you go to the site it shows the index of... page, even though I have an index.htm page uploaded. i have all my files in subdirectories (music, images, etc) but nothing's showing up. My pictures aren't displaying and the CCS style sheets aren't applied either

I've spend hours designing this site for a uni project and it's all going wrong :whistling:

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
We need a link to the site to take a look...

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Maby your paths are wrong?

Like are you saying the stylesheet is located at...

/css/stylesheet.css or something or

www.yoursite.com/css/stylesheet.css

??

Also, you might need /home/sites infront of your urls because some hosts do that.

And can we have a link?

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
The index of... can be fixed with a .htaccess file, but again, we need a link!

Edited by Michael, 15 May 2006 - 06:15 PM.

clareb2005

clareb2005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
I've managed to get it to work if they are not in subdirectories, tried adding paths to the filenames e.g. images/band.jpg but no joy.

Sorry, was in a bit of a stress when I posted the original message, here's the link

Click HERE to view site

Thanks for your help though guys :whistling:

Edited by clareb2005, 16 May 2006 - 05:32 PM.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Maybe you need /images/band.jpg

Also don't have a click "here to enter" that is something you often see on "top 10 things not to do on a web site" It is realy annoying.

Same goes for the window in the middle you have to use horazonal scrolling to read each line, most people will just leave if they have to do that. (That only happens is FireFox in IE you have changed the color of my scrolbars which is just as bad)

The Biography page is all out in FireFox, I can see what is the cause that though.

And don't make the forum open in a new window, that is very annoying and again is listed in the top 10 web annoyances.

But besides that great site. :whistling:

Edited by Michael, 16 May 2006 - 06:40 PM.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
First, why do you have two instances of this with different cases?

<link href="../Style%20Sheets/style_sheet_LP.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
<link href="../style_sheets/style_sheet_LP.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">

Secondly, why are you pointing to the previous directory (your .htm file appears to reside in the root area and you are pointing to the css outside of the root area which in itself isn't bad except you are pointing to a parent higher which doesn't make any sense) with the ../style_sheets/style_sheet_LP.css bit?

You should design the layout as follows for clarity and for your own sake:

root (or public_html or something similar) -- contains all your .htm files
root --> images -- contains all your image files and should be pointed to in your htm files as images/filename.jpg
root --> css -- contains your stylesheets and should be pointed to in your .htm files as css/yourstylesheet.css

If you follow this basic layout you shouldn't have any path problems other than typos...

This is just my opinion....

clareb2005

clareb2005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Also don't have a click "here to enter" that is something you often see on "top 10 things not to do on a web site" It is realy annoying.

Same goes for the window in the middle you have to use horazonal scrolling to read each line, most people will just leave if they have to do that. (That only happens is FireFox in IE you have changed the color of my scrolbars which is just as bad)

The Biography page is all out in FireFox, I can see what is the cause that though.

And don't make the forum open in a new window, that is very annoying and again is listed in the top 10 web annoyances.

• I have a 'click here to enter' page as I was told by my tutor to use this as a index page
  • The window in the middle shouldn't have a horizontal scroll bar, that only appears in Firefox, and I know that is something that I need to look at. Also I set it to change colour as the scroll bar in the middle looked crap with default colours so set it to flow with the rest of the site - though it works in IE and not firefox :blink:
  • How can I recify the biography page problem? Other ppl have mentioned that to me and I don't know how to solve it!
  • I thought it would be better to have all external links open up in a new window, so users still have my page running in the background when using the forum. The forum isn't mine it's the record company's, so I wanted to distinguish that as well

But besides that great site. :whistling:

Thanks for the comments though dude! :help:

clareb2005

clareb2005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

First, why do you have two instances of this with different cases?

<link href="../Style%20Sheets/style_sheet_LP.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
<link href="../style_sheets/style_sheet_LP.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">

Secondly, why are you pointing to the previous directory (your .htm file appears to reside in the root area and you are pointing to the css outside of the root area which in itself isn't bad except you are pointing to a parent higher which doesn't make any sense) with the ../style_sheets/style_sheet_LP.css bit?

I think it stems from a problems I had earlier where it went a lil crazy with style sheets and that, but I've been through it and corrected that - thanks dude :whistling:

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I download your Biography page and deleted things out of the css one at a time this is what I found.

.bandmember5 {
	position: absolute;
	height: 495px;
	width: 116px;
	[b]left: 19px;
	top: 215px;[/b]
}

Now why would that mess it up! Well I will answer that when you explain <body class="bandmember5" !

Well I don't care who told you what, I am telling you that it gives the user another chance to think about if they realy what to go into you site for not, far to often they will go back. Also search bots (Google) put you lower in the rank because you "home" page as it sees it, lacks content.

Also I set it to change colour as the scroll bar in the middle looked crap with default colours so set it to flow with the rest of the site - though it works in IE and not firefox

The lession it don't use browser precific code, it will not work in anything but IE. I recomend you remove the scrolbars and the text in like a noraml web site, and other web sites just happen to be were users spend most of ther time, so they expect you site to behave something like what others do.

If it is an external link I will take back what I said, it is ok.

I supose Media Press and Store are suposed to not work?

Advertisements

clareb2005

clareb2005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Now why would that mess it up! Well I will answer that when you explain <body class="bandmember5" !

i don't get it?! Oh I'm so confused!

And no the other pages aren't supposed to look as I only had to create 4 pages :whistling:

Edited by clareb2005, 17 May 2006 - 06:12 AM.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts

Well I don't care who told you what, I am telling you that it gives the user another chance to think about if they realy what to go into you site for not, far to often they will go back. Also search bots (Google) put you lower in the rank because you "home" page as it sees it, lacks content.

And actually your site could get banned from Google by using this technique because normally this "entrance page" was used to be chock full of keywords, relevant or not. And like Michael stated, you will get ignored by Google using this technique as Google uses content and links for rankings, not keywords.

Your "tutor" is feeding you some very unsound information.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts

i don't get it?! Oh I'm so confused!

On your Biography page you have class="bandmember5" in your <body> tag, what is the world is it doing there?

clareb2005

clareb2005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Oooookies, update:

Removed the bandmember5 thing from it, i haven't a clue what it was doing there but seems to be ok now

Also removed the enter page, my tutor said something about using it to cover up the index bit, I was just gonna call the homepage index.htm but I can't remember what his reasoning was. I think I was overtired/hungover!

My style sheets aren't applying to text in Firefox though, dyu why that might be?

Can I just say, this is the first time I've done a project like this, so if I sound like I wdon't know what I'm doing sometimes, it's coz I don't! But thanks for your help anyway

Edited by clareb2005, 17 May 2006 - 05:30 PM.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
What text is it not applying to? font-size: x-small; Is that what your talking about creating different font sizes? It always will because what is small in pixels?

If you had put up what was my first attempt at a web site, I would rant at you for half an hour :whistling:
I am a prefectionist when it comes to writeing web pages, and very hard to please.
And am trying to be nice, I have to started at you css file (yet). :blink: