Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

www.guarduptodate.com problems

• Please log in to reply

Mirage1224

Mirage1224

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I posted in another form and it was the incorrect forum. However, someone was kind enough to direct me to the self-help files. Unfortunately, I could not follow the instructions because I have Windows XP, but I do not know if it is 64 bit or not. I really do need help getting rid of this www.guarduptodate.com problem which is blocking my web-home page, causing weird pop-ups and appears to be at least reporting damages to my computer which may be true or false. Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated. I realize that you are taking time to help me for free -- so, whether or not I am successful in removing this unwanted virus(?), I do wish to know if you accept donations. I think it is admirable and inspiring that you help people for free. Especially people like me -- right now, I'm questioning whether I have enough intelligence to even have a computer in my home.

Thank you.

:whistling:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Mirage

If the computer is more than 6 months old, you do not have 64bit

What instuictions are you having an issue with? Your earlier post directed you to the malware forum, where you were to run several programs. If you are having difficulty running those programs, skip to the end, and run the step where it describes hijhackthis

Then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum (the malware forum) Add a line informing the malware experts that you had difficulty following the instructions in the prep thread and they will help you through it.

Mirage1224

Mirage1224

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I'm really sorry I bothered you. I don't understand even where to post for help. I'll excuse myself by saying I appreciate your attempt to assist me, but I think it best if I visit another forum that I can better understand and not make such a nuisance of myself.

Mirage1224

Mirage1224

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Just wanted to come back and tell you that I was sincere in my apology. I am looking into hiring someone to fix my computer. I can't even get started on any other website because I don't have any adwarealer/spyware alert programs and I would not even begin to know what a hijackthis file is.

Thanks again. Some of us old folks, just need to call repair people to come to our house.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Mirage,

I was not trying to imply anything, I was just directing you to the people who can help you best. We are very compartmentalized, with each group specializing in certain areas. the malware forum is staffed by people who are VERY good at helping people with little computer knowledge solve your exact problem

This forum is for operating system issues outside of malware.

The particular forum you need is here:
http://www.geekstogo...o_Here-f37.html

The directions you are asked to follow if you can are here
http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

If the directions are a little overwhelming, then simple scroll down to
Click Here to Download HijackThis

This is a program that will create a file that they need to explain what you need to do

Do not worry--it is not as hard as it seems and the malware people are very good at walking you through the solution.