Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing desktop!

• Please log in to reply

Irlyneedhelp

Irlyneedhelp

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, I just recently upgraded from Windows ME to XP-pro, and I've been having some problems. When I start the computer in normal mode I have no desktop or taskbar and an error message comes up (A Windows Explorer error) but when I start the computer in safe mode my desktop and everything is there. Anyone know whats wrong?

Thanks

Advertisements

morfius

morfius

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
i'm not sure what is wrong. Running some scans in safe mode may work. But I doubt theres a virus. Probably some setting is wrong.

Good Luck.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Get that if something new is put on, have clicked start then run then type sfc /scannow (note space) to check system files, you need the XP CD and it will just go off after the check

Irlyneedhelp

Irlyneedhelp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Get that if something new is put on, have clicked start then run then type sfc /scannow (note space) to check system files, you need the XP CD and it will just go off after the check

View Post

Thanks Morphius and Keith ...but I'm still not sure what to do. I went to start run and typed in "sfc /scannow" but nothing happened. Was I supposed to do that? Or do I insert the XP CD first then do "sfc / scannow"?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Insert the XP CD then cancel the options screen when it has loaded, click start then run then type sfc /scannow then click OK, you are looking for Windows File Protection in a box with a blue line which will go across as it runs, when it has run it goes back to desktop.

You could try starting the PC with the XP CD in