Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ctrl+Alt+Delete Task Manager...Can't click!

• Please log in to reply

Confuzzled104

Confuzzled104

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hey there...I'm kind of seeking help. >_< :whistling:

I have Windows 2000 Service Pack 4.

Quite recently, whenever I press Ctrl+Alt+Delete, it gives me the usual options: "Lock Computer" "Log Off..." "Shut Down..." "Change Password..." "Task Manager" and "Cancel". However, right where it says "Task Manager" the button is not highlighted, and I cannot click it!! Can anybody help, please?? :blink:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what if you right click the taskbar (blue bar at the bottom of the screen...) can you choose task manager from there?

Confuzzled104

Confuzzled104

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Nope...still cannot click... :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try safe mode

if safe mode by itself doesn't work...reboot and choose safe mode...when you get to the screen where you select your user press ctrl alt del (possibly twice), a classic logon window should show up...enter administrator as the username and try nothing as the password (unless you remember setting one...then enter that as the password)...now try task manager

Confuzzled104

Confuzzled104

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
:whistling: :blink: :help:

Still can't click it! :)

This evil computer is driving me mad. XP

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well the reason i asked for you to do all that jazz is because there are some particularly nasty malware and viral infections that will disable the task manager so that you can't stop them from doing what they are doing....from these tests i'd say that you've got one of those soooo...

Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

when you get to the step about posting a hijack this log...please post a link to this thread along with your log so that they will know what's been done (pretty much nothing...but)