Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Found New Hardware -- "Image"

• Please log in to reply

jacey32

jacey32

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Every time I reboot, the Found New Hardware Wizard comes up wanting me to install some program called, simply "Image" -- I have no memory downloading anything like this, so I don't want to install it (obviously). Any idea how I can find out what this is? Could it be some kind of malware? Google searching "image" is kinda useless. There is an icon that looks like a flat gray X with all the other program icons in the lower right hand corner of the bottom toolbar thingy, but no info comes up when I right click.

Thanks!

P.S. Apologies if this is in the wrong place -- please advise if I should move it somewhere else.

Please advise if I should post a Hijack This log.

Edited by jacey32, 15 May 2006 - 02:59 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi jacey32...

Yes...please do post me a HijackThis log...but attach it to the post, please. Let's see if it shows up in the start ups or is possibly associated with another application.

wannabe1

jacey32

jacey32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi Wannabe1,

Thanks for helping.

HJT log is attached.

Cheers,

JC

jacey32

jacey32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
oops, sorry, file didn't attach.

Upload failed. You are not permitted to upload a file with that file extension.

shall I just cut and paste?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try zipping the log...right click on it and point to "Send to"...select "Compressed (zip) folder". Then try to attach the zip folder to your reply.

jacey32

jacey32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
that seems to have worked. thanks.

Attached Files

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I see a couple of possible culprits in the log. MailSkinner and Adobe Photo Album. Both are starting when you start the computer and both involve images. Neither are necesary as startup applications.

MailSkinner can also be malware so if you did not specifically download this application to add graphical support to your e-mails, it may be time to visit our Malware Forum.

In the meantime, lets stop both of them from starting with Windows. Click Start, then Run, type msconfig, and click "Ok". Under the "Startup" tab, find "Photoshop Album Starter Edition" (apdproxy.exe) and "mailskinner" (mailskinner.exe) in the list and uncheck the boxes next to them. (While you are in there, look for "Image" or a Setup listing which mentions Image) "Apply" the change and click "Ok". Reboot.

Upon restarting, you will see a Selective Startup dialog window...this is normal. Check the box to not show it again and click "Ok".

Do you still get the prompt to install "Image" when you start the machine"

jacey32

jacey32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi Wannabe1,

Unfortunately, I still do get the prompt. I saw no other references to "Image" in the Startup infomation.

I'm suspicious of that mailskinner program -- I don't think I actively downloaded anything like that, and I seem to remember Norton a while ago giving me a warning about that being a trojan (though I thought I got rid of it). I recently switched to a beta version of the live msn hotmail -- do you think that could have something to do with it?

Maybe it's malware forum time?

Thanks,

JC

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yep...if you didn't download and install the MailSkinner application, you were probably the victim of a "drive by" install. There may be other applications involved in this, as well.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself...then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. DO NOT REPLY TO OR BUMP YOUR OWN LOG. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1

jacey32

jacey32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Alrighty -- will do.

Thanks for your help.

JC

jacey32

jacey32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Still having problems with the new hardware wizard. Got a clean bill of health from the malware folks.

Tried to add a link to that thread, but it didn't work. It's in the Malware forum, called 'problems with mailskinner'

Wondering if I should just take the chance and install the thing, and use system restore if things get messed up??

Edited by jacey32, 22 May 2006 - 10:06 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
First thing, set a new restore point and name it "Clean".

Go ahead and install "Image", making note of where it installs to.

jacey32

jacey32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi Wannabe1,

Sorry to disappear on you there. I took my computer in to get something else fixed, and the shop guy helped me with the problem. It seems to be fixed now. Thanks for all your help.

JC