Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Zlob.Trojan

• Please log in to reply

Rurouni_Geo

Rurouni_Geo

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have tried all of the advice and followed the instructions on this thread: http://www.geekstogo...howtopic=111135

It appears that the trojan is gone ( i havent seen the pop ups in quite some time) but the registry and windows components are still damaged. I am unable to post logs do to the fact that the infected computer restarts itself after a minute or so in normal mode and in safe mode it is impossibly slow and i cant get the internet to work on it or think of anyway to connect it to the new computer that was ordered for me in place of the infected one. Typing it out would be a major pain. However if i am correct the logs were similar to that of the above thread except everything was Dell not HP and a few other things.

The only thing i can think of is that the registry isnt fully cleaned or repared yet. I do remember when i ran Smit Fraud Fix i dont think it cleaned or restored the registry in the last step. An error might have occured.

Thanks for the help.

Advertisements

Vikesrock8411

Vikesrock8411

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks To Go.

My name is Kevin and I will be helping you resolve your problem.

I am currently reviewing your log. Please note that this is under the supervision of an expert analyst, and I will be back with a fix for your problem as soon as possible.

You may wish to Subscribe to this thread so that you are notified when you receive a reply. To do this click Options, then Track this topic.

Please be patient with me during this time.

Vikesrock8411

Vikesrock8411

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
Hi Rurouni_Geo

Do you still have the original log from when you ran Smitfraudfix? If so I want you to take a look at a specific section and tell me what is in it. The section I need you to look at starts with "Scanning wininet.dll infection".

You have no way of transfering logs and tools between the two PC's? CD, floppy, USB drive?

Rurouni_Geo

Rurouni_Geo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well the only thing that may working is burning a CD if the computer cooperates long enough. I can get anything from this computer onto the infected one but as for visca versa its a little more complicated. on this computer there is no floppy drive and im not really sure if there is a way i can network the two computers together through usb. I cant dual boot or master and slave boot it unless theres some way to do that with an SATA and IDE hard drives that i dont know about.

Currently My Dad came and picked up the computer and gave it to a freind who says he can fix it by reinstalling windows XP and everything will look like its gone but it will still be there. He did this without my knowledge so im hoping if it doesnt work everything will still be intact for me to try smitfraudfix again.

So i cant really give you any input on whats going on at the moment as i dont have the infected computer in my possien at the moment. All i can remembe ris that their seemed to be a sort of discrepincy when the registry cleaning part of it was running it didnt appear to fix it for some reason.

Sorry about this. ^_^

Vikesrock8411

Vikesrock8411

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
No problem. It sounds like the friend is planning a repair install of XP. This may get your computer working well enough to get into normal mode so we can get you cleaned up. If, when you get the computer back, you can boot into Normal Mode I do not recommend you run Smitfraudfix again. I would reccomend that you make sure that updates up to SP1 are installed and then post your Hijackthis log in this thread.

Rurouni_Geo

Rurouni_Geo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Roger that. I should be getting to computer back within the next 48 hours. Smitfraudfix will not be used again.

and am i correct in thinking that the repair install only overwrites the windows files and registry?

Vikesrock8411

Vikesrock8411

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
Yes, but not the entire registry. That would break all your programs. There is a slight chance that some programs may no longer work and will have to be reinstalled.