Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Unable to run Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

mistynite

mistynite

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, I'm new to this forum and hope someone can help me.

My computer is unable to run Windows. When I first start it it states Floppy diskette seek failure, Strike F1 to continue or F2 to run setup utility
When I press F1, it tells me that Windows could not start because the following is missing or corrupt: System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys. It states that I can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-Rom & to select 'r' at the first screen to start repair, but I'm not even able to run the disk. I don't know what to do to try and run the disk manually. Any information that can be given to resolve my issue would be appreciated. Thank You

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Start the PC and keep tapping the delete key ( possibly F2) until it enters set up. Change the boot order with the page up key to read CD ROM / C / A then press F10 to save, type Y to confirm, insert the XP CD, press enter, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the start button and keep tapping the delete key until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need the XP product key to complete this

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

XP Repair Install

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

mistynite

mistynite

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Start the PC and keep tapping the delete key ( possibly F2) until it enters set up. Change the boot order with the page up key to read CD ROM / C / A then press F10 to save, type Y to confirm, insert the XP CD, press enter, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the start button and keep tapping the delete key until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need the XP product key to complete this

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

XP Repair Install

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

mistynite

mistynite

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you Keith for your response. I was able to download the CD and I am reading the link for the guide on how to repair windows XP, but its showing me something I don't see on the guide. It's asking me a list of partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer. I have Partition 1 [FAT] which is 39 MB Too small for the Windows XP then theres C: Partition 2 [NTFS] 71492 MB (58871 MB Free) It states that this partition contains another operating system and that installing windows XP on this partition might cause the other operating system to function improperly. Then there's F: Partition3 [FAT32] 4754 MB (1055 MB Free) This one states that Windows XP cannot recognize partition that I selected. That I could go back and delete then select the resulting unpartitioned space. I'm not which one I should choose. R u able to assist me with this? I want to make sure that I select the proper partition to run Windows. Thanks again.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Start the PC with the XP CD in the drive, press enter to load from CD, press enter to run set up, F8 for the license agreement then press R to repair

You probably pressed R on the first screen