Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pick up phone...modem drops

• Please log in to reply

Trish

Trish

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
I have recently installed ADSL broadband at my place. I have one phone line into the house where there are 2 phone ports coming out of the wall. One of these ports has my phone connected (with an ADSL filter) and the other has my Ethernet modem.

The problem is that when I pick up the phone, the modem drops out. I have physically sat there and seen the green light on the modem go off as I pick up the phone to try and make a call. My ISP said it was the ADSL filter that is connected to the phone, ,but I have tried a few of my friends' filters that work at their place, so it doesn't seem to be the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas??? Thanks

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you tried connecting the modem lead to the filter

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is almost always caused by bad filters or by a telephone not having been plugged into a filter somewhere along the line. Remember you need a filter on EVERY socket on a broadband enabled line regardless of whether it has the broadband modem plugged into it or not.

Trish

Trish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Sorry about my late reply. I thought it may have been the filter as well.

So my ISP sent me 4 new filters and they all gave the same result. However the filters were all the same brand. I borrowed a friends' D-Link filter and it works perfectly. PROBLEM SOLVED.

The funny thing is that I told my ISP the result and they refused to admit that their 'no-name' brand filters were to blame. After arguing and speaking with the supervisor, they reimbursed me some money to buy a new filter.

Thanks for your replys :whistling: