Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Brother Printer

• Please log in to reply

kodemaan

kodemaan

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
OK so I have a brother printer multi-functional m-210 and I'm trying to enable the scan over network feature. So I pop in my brother software cd and then do all the install steps and then it trys to detect the printer and an error pop's up saying it can't detect the printer over the network. So I try unblocking my firewall and it still doesn't work. So when I try to detect my printer using an IP i discover it doesn't have one. Then there's another option the says type in printer name on network. So I try that and it still doesn't work. The thing that messes it up is I type in an ip or printer name and it'll pretend to install, then it'll come up with a windows camera and scanner setup. So i try to cancel out of that and it freezes the install. I can print over my network but I can't install the "BROTHER MFL PRO-SUITE" program because it won't detect the printer. Can anyone help me?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Advertisements

SirMrX

SirMrX

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Make sure you have File and Printer Sharring installed on both computers. (if the printer is hookedup to another PC)

kodemaan

kodemaan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Yes I do have file and printer sharing enabled on the other computer, and on mine. That is the weird thing I can print to the printer over the network but when I try to make it detect the printer to install the software to make it scan over the network i can't do that.

SirMrX

SirMrX

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
well this might not be good news for you but i dont think you can scan over the network... at least it didn't work for me.. i have a wireless print server i can print using the print server but i can't scan. so im thinking that might be something that might not work... and i did the samething you did. if i plug in my scaner directly to the usb scans fine..if i unplug it says im not connected to it. is that what you're trying to do?

kodemaan

kodemaan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Well I don't think I really have a print server all I have is 2 computers one old running 98 on like 256ram 8 gig and my laptop with 60gig 512ram xp. I think that it is possible but it's not working because since my printers going through the one computer it doesn't have an ip address. And for when I try to type in a printer name it only lets me type in just the name not something like //Home/printer8 (not actual setting). But Unless u can think of anything i'm probably just gonna give up i don't think it's worth wasting much more time over. Thx.