Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't login to specific website

• Please log in to reply

Marlamp

Marlamp

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
About six weeks ago, my bank switched to a new website. Since then, I've been unable to log in from either my laptop or my office desktop, but *can* log in from my home desktop through IE. When I try to log in on my other computers, I get a message that my password is invalid and must be a combination of only letters and numbers. But the same login info works on my office desktop.

I reset my password five times in one week through the bank website in order to login on my laptop. Each time, the password would only work once, then the next time I would get the invalid message on the same password. Finally, I quit changing it and just use the one functioning browser on the one computer to do my banking.

My home laptop has three browsers: IE, AOL, and Mozilla. Login doesn't work through any of them. I've cleared history, cookies, and every other temp file I can find on all three, but nothing is having effect. The security levels are set to medium.

Any idea what might be different about my setup on these two computers from the one with the browser that works?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Can you PM me with the website of your bank? (NOT your log in info!) I'm wondering if there are active X or Java issues??

Also, what kind of firewall, AV and ad blocking software do you use on your systems- the ones that will work, and the one that doesn't?

Johanna

Marlamp

Marlamp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi Johanna:

I just sent the web address to you by PM.

As far as I can tell, all three computers are using Windows Security and no other firewalls or security that might conflict. I have AOL loaded on both home laptop and desktop, but don't have the AOL security activated. My office computer uses Windows Security, but it's also on a corporate network so I may not know what else is involved there.

At home I also run an Ad-Aware scan and occasional Trendmicro on the laptop.

Laptop AV is Radeon, and I'm not sure what's on the desktop. I'm pretty sure it's integrated, but my son built it a few months ago and he has the info on it.

I don't think I mentioned it, but this particular website is the only one where I'm having login problems. All of my computers are able to retain and use my logins for various other websites. I contacted customer service for this company to discuss the problem with them and they couldn't come up with an answer other than deleting the cookies and history.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
What version of Java are you using?

Check here:
http://www.javatester.org/version.html

If you get a prompt wanting to allow a Java applet to run, allow it. If you don't see a pink box, Internet Options> Tools> Advanced > check Java permissions.

Post back with what you find!
Johanna

Marlamp

Marlamp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Java Version: 1.1.4 from Microsoft Corp. (office desktop)

Java Version 1.5.0_02 from Sun Microsystems (Laptop)

Java Version 1.5.0_06 from Sun Microsystems (Home desktop)

Home desktop is the one that works.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
How about updating Java on the first two computers?
http://www.java.com/.../windows_ie.jsp

Johanna

Marlamp

Marlamp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Installed the Java update on the laptop, rebooted, and no change (I can't install it on the office desktop due to the network restrictions).

Any other thoughts?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you might try enabling cookies for that site

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what firewall and anti virus do you use...there have been problems with norton and secure sites

Marlamp

Marlamp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Using Windows Security and no other security programs or hardware firewall. Cookies are enabled, both generally and specifically for this site, but can't get access through this laptop.

Marlamp

Marlamp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Just wanted to let you know, after another round with the bank when my login information quit working again on the one computer where it was working before, we finally figured out the problem.

I had been keeping my 16-digit account code in an html file on my hard drive, and for years had been copy/pasting the code into the ID field whenever I needed to re-input the code. I usually had the site maintain the code, but on occasion the cookie would get wiped out and I would have to do it again. I had been doing this for years on all my computers and never had a problem with it.

Turns out that the new bank website had a more sensitive input field and was detecting html code from the copy/paste, therefore it wasn't recognizing my account from the cut and paste. When someone finally thought to ask me to re-key the code for fresh input, the login and password worked fine. And sure enough, after I keyed in a fresh ID on my other computers, the login worked on those as well.

So, after two months and way too many brains, problem solved.

Marla :whistling: