Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

how 2 transfer files from A: to c: in dos

• Please log in to reply

ottokin

ottokin

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have an earlier post with no reply yet..please bear with me here. How would I take a file from a 1.44 disk a: drive and transfer it to it's proper place on my harddrive in command prompt mode. I either have a windows explorer.exe corruption or it was moved somewhere else and I get a message to reinstall windows. I purchased this machine without a recovery CD and IBM tells me that there are none available.

Advertisements

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
to copy file abc.dll from a floppy to the WINDOWS directory of drive c: in dos

type a:
then press enter
type copy abc.dll c:\WINDOWS
then press enter

to see if the file is already there(do this FIRST)
type dir c:\WINDOWS\abc.dll
then press enter

ottokin

ottokin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I tried that and get a message invalid directory

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
This was an example of copying a file to a specific directory(C:\windows). You need to determine which file to copy and where. Make sure the are no spaces when typing c:\windows(the example directory). Which file do you want to copy and to which directory are you copying?