Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New PC Still Slow!

• Please log in to reply

SirNight33

SirNight33

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Ok my old computer was very ehh old age so i had to get rid of it :blink: my new pc is 3.4ghz yea not much but itll do now let me list specs from what i know...

Dual processors
512MB Ram
128MB Video Card(Latest Drivers)
80GB Hard Drive
Win XP Home
Sony Vaio
P4
Linksys BFR81 Router(Latest Firmware)

Now to the problem... it was running super fast yesterday but today its running as slow as my old computer and this problem happend on my old pc also now heres the question is it possible for someone to be hacking me or somthing? and makeing my pc slow ive got keiro firewall i NEVER use firefox or IE unless i check my email and the only time i use the internet is to play Guildwars which is all day almost :whistling: also my internet speed has been slow also since yesterday do any of you know what the problem might be?

Advertisements

SirNight33

SirNight33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
:whistling: ok strange my pc doesnt lag but if i try using winamp,windows media player or iTunes the program takes a long time to load but not with any other programs what could be causeing that? :blink:

Also if i do start playing music and try starting another program it takes a long time to start it up please help...

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
have you visited the malware forum yet and gone through the cleanup process?

SirNight33

SirNight33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
uhmm no but i restarted my pc in safemode before i posted this and ran spybot,ewido,ad-aware and avg but didnt detect anything

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
all three, especially itunes and wmp, access the internet on startup...anything that might be stopping/hindering them?

Firewall like zonealarm maybe?

SirNight33

SirNight33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
uhm i have keiro but it didnt come up with any rules to allow it or block it

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
does this occur if you shut down kerio?

SirNight33

SirNight33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Yep, must be keiro i set to allow program now i got another question dont know if youll be able to answer it i took my geforce from my old pc and put it in my sony vaio its working fine but the guys from sony told me i cant put in a geforce card into my sony vaio from my old pc because it wont work do you know anything about that or did they just want me to buy from them? :whistling:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
well, if it is working, I'd say they don't what they are talking about

I have run into different systems that will not accept a pci card, or an agp card, and then you cannot put it in.

Or a new nvidia pci-e card will not go in an older PC, but other than power issues, I don't see why not