Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No Internet Connectivity after Malware Removal

• Please log in to reply

Tobias Iaconis

Tobias Iaconis

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello. I was sent to this forum by RiP ChAiN from your malware forum: "This is where I step off and refer you to the "Internet and Browsers" forum here. Tell them your problem, what you told me about running VB_WinFix 1.2 and that the malware forum already cleared you."

I cleaned an XP SP2 machine that was severly infected with many types of malware, but the computer now cannot establish an Internet connection. The machine resides on our corporate LAN and successfully obtains an IP address from our DHCP server, but can't seem to go any further. As RiP ChAiN indicated, I ran VB_WinFix 1.2, but no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Please do not post hijack this logs in any other forum than the malware forum as it will incourage others to do so as well. Your log has been removed and re-attached as a text file

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi Tobias Iaconis,

Please download LSPFix from here. Run the LSPFix.exe that you have just finished downloading, and please list all of the protocols that are in the 'Keep' and 'Remove' list; if there are protocols in the 'Remove' list, then please don't click 'Finish>>'. Simply close the program by pressing ALT+F4 or the Close [x] button.

I'm not sure how much VB_WinFix 1.2 differs from WinsockXPFix, but I'd suggest trying this version; it won't hurt. Once run, reboot and test your connection.

If that fails, please goto Start, Run, type CMD, press 'OK', then type the following commands:
  • netsh winsock reset catalog
  • netsh int ip reset reset.log
Reboot and test. If you're still unable to connect that computer to the Internet, please follow the MS Article: How to determine and recover from Winsock2 corruption; even if you do not "detect" corruption, I'd recommend following their steps to re-install the winsock stack anyway.