Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How Do I Restore Microsoft Word's Manufactured Default Settings?

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
How do I restore Microsoft Word 2002 Version (10.2627.2625) to it's original manufactured default settings?
I want to set it as if it was freshly installed and new on my pc. I do not want to uninstall it and re-install it though. So how do I go about doing so? There are many restore notes to restore different things in the program's help menu. It is too confusing.

The reason I want to restore it is because I messed with the view or the percentage of viewing of documents. I'm not sure exactly what I did, but I pressed something that has to do with viewing documents when my mouse dropped on the floor and clicked something by accident. Now everytime I open a document there at different sizes in "view". Say I open one, it may be at 80% and print view. & if I open another it may be at 100% at normal view. It was never like that and is getting on my nerve.

I'm very frustrated and do not want to call microsoft after uninstalling and re-installing and getting an activation code, etc. This would just be a waste of time. Not to mention I have the original disc somewhere in my messy office.

By the way when I open the program the little window that pops up before the program starts says "Microsoft Word - Microsoft Office XP". I dunno if that will help you determine the version I have. Well when I go to the "About" part of the program it says: "Microsoft Word 2002 Version (10.2627.2625)"

Thanx.

:) :help: :blink: :whistling: :)

I DO NOT WANT TO RESTORE THE TOOLBARS OR ANY ANYTHING SMALL, AS WORD HAS MANY DIFFERENT RESTORING OPTIONS FROM WHAT I SEE.
I WANT TO RESTORE THE WHOLE ENTIRE PROGRAM TO ITS MANUFACTURED STATE!!!!

Edited by superstar, 16 May 2006 - 03:49 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm not sure about office xp..but i know in 2003 if you go to help then there is a option for "detect and repair" that will let you fix all those settings back to factory

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

i'm not sure about office xp..but i know in 2003 if you go to help then there is a option for "detect and repair" that will let you fix all those settings back to factory

There actually is a "detect and repair" in it. I was gonna use that, but there are so many other kinds of restore settings options, and the help file does'nt get much into detail about all of them. I am 100% sure I seen a "detect and repair" option somewhere in it. I know I can probably find it in the help menu. The thing is as I said I know that the help menu won't go much into detail as to if this makes everything as it was when it's freshly installed (manufactuers state). So as long as someone can give me a for sure response I will do it.

Thanx...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
IF office xp has the detect and repair (which i think it does...just click help..it should be right there)...then it has an option to restore all the customized stuff back to default..i can't promise you it will fix your issue..but i know it won't break anything (shouldn't...never has for me)

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
someone else told me to read this short paragraph and do this...

http://wordtips.vita...s_for_Word.html

what do ya'll think of what it says on the url?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you ever modified the registry before? if not...you really REALLY need to be careful..that said...the reg key that they mention deleting....if it doesn't work...would end up with you having to reinstall office if something bad happens...

http://www.larsheder...nline.de/erunt/ go there and download erunt....run the program..it will make a backup of your registry...then you can make the change...then if something goes wrong..you can use erunt to restore the registry

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I'm assuming I can use system restore to restore the reg if something messes up no?

As for the url I gave you, I do know how to edit the registry. It's pretty straight forward too. I wonder though if that url tutorial mentions my version of microsoft word. The only real problem I am having with what the url says is this:

You should make sure you rename the Normal.dot file to a different name, and you should remove any files from the Startup folder.

I dunno what the [bleep] that means. I will not do anything until I know what to do...

Once again the tutorial I am mentioning is:

http://wordtips.vita...s_for_Word.html

Oh one more thing... I encountered problems with microsoft word after I dropped my mouse on the floor by accident and it pressed something that has to do with the "Viewing" options in the program and has now made documents come out in 70% view, 80%, and sometimes the default 100%. I just need them to always be 100%. If there is a way for me to do this than that would fix my program. The next thing I wanted to suggest is what if I just go to system restore and set the date back a couple of days ago? Because I just encountered the problem last night...

Edited by superstar, 16 May 2006 - 08:53 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
normal.dot is an office configuration file...do a file search for it and make sure to search hidden files...if office can't find normal.dot...then it will make a new one

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Let's do an experiment... You know what if anyone has Microsoft Word 2002 for Office XP (you can check your version by hitting the "about" in the help section of the program).

1. Open up a few word documents you have on your pc and tell me if the view & viewing percentages change at all any time you load each document.

(view ie: normal, web layout, print layout.)
(view percentage ie: 100%, 80%, 120%, etc.)

2. After doing the first step close any open docs and word fully! Than open word without loading anything and tell me what view and viewing percentage you have when it loads.

3. Open up the "general templates" option, and in it choose "other documents>>>elegant resume". & tell me what viewing and viewing percentage it loads the document.

This is the only way I can determine whether or not my word's viewing properties is messed up or if it was'nt even messed up to begin with. If you all give me the same answers for all 3 questions, and the same scenario happens when I open mine up than this thread should have never been started! lol.

Note: If you happen to open a doc, and the viewing is say something other than 100%, and you open another up and it is now at the same lessor percentage let me know. Same goes for opening documents and having a different view layout. (ie: normal, web layout, print layout.)

Edited by superstar, 18 May 2006 - 01:32 AM.