Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD RW wont work!

• Please log in to reply

ardavagga

ardavagga

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi. Hope you can help. My DVD rewriter wont function, and I cant figure out the problem. I have the pc a few years and I think I can recall in the beginning a loud enough noise from either the cd rom drive or the dvd rw, I don’t know which one it was, and maybe its nothing to do with my current problem. I have used Help Topics, checked device manager and control panel etc and I’ll now give you a summary of what I got. First the system:

Dell Intel P4 2800, 512mb ram, windows xp, 80gig HD
Samaung Cd-Rom, and Teac DVD+ RW DV-W58E

OK. Firstly the hard disk is now called F, I think it used to be C…??
And the DVD RW comes up as removeable disk C.
When I put in a CD or DVD nothing happens. If I click on Removeable Disk it says “please insert a disk”.
If I right click and examine properties I get:

Used space=0 Free space =0
Manufacturer: (Standard CD-Rom drives)
This device is disabled (22) (When I try to enable it, it says that it cannot be enabled)

When I looked in Device manager the Teac DVD has a red “x” over it!
Finally I went to PCPitstop and ran a test on the system and came up with the following:

Teac DVD+RW code 22 (which just means it was disabled) I clicled on the link to Microsoft explanations, and on the “solution”; this was simply to enable it, but of course it cant be enabled!

Also I found (could be related….??):

Unknown Ethernet Controller code 28 (=drivers not installed)
Unknown Multimedia Audio Controller code 28 (=drivers not installed)

Sorry for all this jumble, but that’s as much as I can find out. Unfortunately I cant find the Blue Dell installation disks either! Im just guessing at either (a) drivers not installed or (b) faulty DVD RW drive or © loose connection….???

HELP!

Thanks

ms

Advertisements

ryan369

ryan369

• Pip
  • 2 posts
HELLO SIR
MY NAME IS RYAN...WORKING AS A DELL TECHNICIAN
SOLUTION: FIRSTLY REMOVE THE DVD DRIVE CABLES(TWO CABLES) AND PUT THEM BACK IN..AND TURN ON THE SYSTEM..U WOULD SEE A BLUE DELL LOGO..WE NEED TO KEEP TAPPING THE "F2" KEY TO REACH THE SETUP..ONCE U REACH THE SYSTEM SETUP SCREEN..PRESS THE NUMLOCK KEY,SCROLL LOCK KEY, AND CAPS LOCK KEY..(ALL THE THREE LIGHTS ON THE KEYBOARD SHOULD BE GLOWING).. NOW PREDD THE "ALT + E" (DO IT TWICE TO MAKE SURE ITS DONE) AND AFTER THIS PRESS"ALT + F" (DO IT TWICE TO MAKE SURE ITS DONE)..PRESS "ESC" KEY TWICE AND CLICL ON "SAVE CHANGES AND EXIT"...AND CHECK THE FUNCTIONALITY OF THE DRIVE..IF THIS DOES NOT WORK..THE ide DRIVE CABLES JUMPER HAS TO BE RESEATTED..AND IT WOULD NOT BE POSSIBLE TO WRITE DOWN DETAILED PROCEDURE AND PLEASE DONOT TRY IT YOUR SELF..IT NEEDS TO BE DONE WITH ASSISTANCE...SO PLEASE CALL DELL TECHINICAL SUPPORT..1-800-999-3355...I HOPE THE FIRST STEP WOULD RESOLVE THE ISSUE.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

HELLO SIR
MY NAME IS RYAN...WORKING AS A DELL TECHNICIAN

*snip totally pointless solution that doesn't even need to be followed if the poster had read the original query properly*

The issue is caused because the device is disabled in Windows. The fact that Device Manager can see the drive is a good sign because it means the cables are correct.

However if your CD unit has ended up on Drive C and your main drive on Drive F, then something has gone major wrong somewhere. If you have a card reader, these devices are good at pushing up drive letters and cause Windows to assign drive F or higher as the main drive.

Your computer is also missing the drivers for network and sound, although these may not have any bearing on the computer's inability to use the DVD-RW.

Your best bet would be to have a good rummage around for the original master/recovery CDs, or finding out how to use the built-in recovery system (if its on the hard drive which it may well be). This'll just save you a load of hassle finding the drivers as the recovery includes them all.

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
I am confused when you say it can't be enabled. Is enable not a choice on properties or do you click enable and nothing happened. And no offense to the dell guy but in my expereience with dell the tech guys i have delt with usually always try the more difficult aproach first. Telling you to check the cable was a waste of time. If device manager recognizes it then it is ok. I had a similar situation previously. The fact that you have a dell and the drivers arn't working for the other stuff leads me to beleive you have some kind of virus or spyware that is interfearing with the drivers. In my case my dvd writer did the same thing. I reinstalled windows and all my hardware worked again.