Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Two instances of XP

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I think I am in big trouble. My son did some troubleshooting on our PC and ended up installing two instances of XP. I now have a C:\windows and a C:\windows2 directory on the C drive. Sys prompts to chose one upon startup. I really don't want to start from scratch, and the original installation was actually fine to begin with. Any way to deinstall XP?

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you would need to edit the boot.ini file to remove the menu and delete the c:\windows2 directory

Beyond that, you may have a couple of new/odd profile folders in c;\documents and settings that could be removed, but they will not harm anything