Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is there a simple solution against malware period

• Please log in to reply

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Ok, I am in a scap with someone else on another board again(yes at geekstogo I am a good boy now but I am still me elsewhere), all I am saying that: there is no simple combination against all malware out there or else there would be no malware forums. He came back with:

quote "'Is there any one combination that prevents attack by malware period"'...how many times do I have to repeat myself......AVG free+windows defender+common sense............I cannot make it any simpler. I'm afraid the 'malware' forums are talking utter rot and they are complicating something that is very, very simple. You can tell by their slogans (Knights of the round table of malware fighters) that fantasy sits easily with them. ANY OS, if it is popular will be exploited but if you have what I keep banging on about you will be OK and virtually all infections are easy to get rid of. unquote

I suppose now I am going to find out that I was wrong btw feel free to pull this thread if you it is no no subject.

Edited by fleamailman, 16 May 2006 - 05:58 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you are right flea...the only surefire way to never get a virus or malware infection is to unplug the computer from the wall, remove all removable media drives (cdrom floppies etc..) and burry the computer in the ground in your back yard...

ALL antivirus and antimalware software is a stopgap measure...they are always behind the virus or malware writers...so they can NEVER block everything...they can't stop an infection untill someone get's the infection and figures out how to remove it....

he is however correct (sort of) that having common sense..a good av program, a good antispyware/malware program, and safe surfing habits is the best way to stay as clean as possible....his chosen groups of software is a bit lacking....windows defender is still a beta...which means it's not perfect...which means i wouldnt trust it as the only means of staying safe....and like i said...no software will keep you 100%safe...and no matter how paranoid you are...if you get online..you're gonna catch something eventually

i've got 2 firewalls at work...one REALLY nice cisco firewall and one EXTREMELY NICE barracuda spyware firewall (it's designed to blcok spyware downloads before they happen..and it even does GREAT content filtering so people can't get to the spyware sites in the first place) and i still get one or two things crawling around my laptop in a month (looking up answers for people here usually)...so there's no way to 100% safe

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Thanks.

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts

you are right flea...the only surefire way to never get a virus or malware infection is to unplug the computer from the wall, remove all removable media drives (cdrom floppies etc..) and burry the computer in the ground in your back yard...

Be warned....if you bury your computer in your backyard, you will be vulnerable to worms... :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
HAHAHHAHAHAH

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Flea,
I am reminded of Malware Mod RStones' signature "Security is a process, not a product."

Justin,
You made me snort coffee out my nose. LOLOLOLOL

Johanna

Justin

Justin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
isnt it a bit late for coffee? :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
BLASPHEMY!!!....you're not a real geek...it's never too late for coffee of some kind

Justin

Justin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
im drinking Tazo Calm tea with chamomeal (spelling?), to try and calm down my cough.....but true.....I work at starbucks (for 2 more weeks!), and I drink coffee a lot

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
mmmm.tazo tea.....that stuff is great...every flavor...except chai..i hate chai

Justin

Justin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
I dont like chai either...it tastes funky....oh yeah, I dont like green ginger either...it tastes like the smell of chinese food, which is odd...

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts

I'm afraid the 'malware' forums are talking utter rot and they are complicating something that is very, very simple

Ah remember the good ole days when a mere running of spybot .Ad-aware a couple fixes of a few lines with HJT would be all that was needed ?

Topics would last maybe 3 or 4 replies not 3 or 4 pages,

Yep it WAS simple

Back to your regularly scheduled coffee time :whistling:

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Don could offer some links to test his "simple solution". :whistling:

P.S. Have him test his "common sense" here: http://www.siteadvis...yware_0306.html

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
The solution is protection, education and common sense.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Thanks everyone.