Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wrong file recognition

• Please log in to reply

Wozz XP

Wozz XP

• Pip
  • 3 posts
A few months back, I installed FantasyDVD Player, didn't like it and uninstalled the program. But now when I look through my media files they are listed as `FantasyDVD Multimedia files` and when I download a media file it says `save as` - `FantasyDVD Multimedia file`!

So how can I change this, so my PC recognizes what file types I have or want to DL?

WMA / AAC / MPEG etc?

Thanks in advance! :whistling:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
open up my computer > click tools> folder options > file types...now find the proper type of file (wma aac whatever) then where it says "opens with" press teh change button..then find the correct program...and make sure that the box that says "always use this program to open this k ind of file" is checked...then you should be fine

Wozz XP

Wozz XP

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The various file types seem to correspond to the correct programs, but FanDVD seems linked to various file types `MPE` etc?, and FanDVD is also the (default type), see pic.

Maybe I should delete the various file links, FanDVD opens?

Thanks for the quick reply btw!
Posted Image

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Also look at right clicking a file, click properties, click change if it says fantasy dvd, change it to the programme you want, check always use this programme for this type of file is checked, click apply

Wozz XP

Wozz XP

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'd tried all that `always open with` stuff, in the past to no avail...but this morning it seemed to work ok, and changed all my opening programes and icons as well! Its always the way!

So I'm very happy with that.

Thanks again for the advice! :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting us know