Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Maybe a BIOS problem.. Not sure...

• Please log in to reply

Purgatory

Purgatory

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Okay, I need some serious help... I never had this problem before, but it seems to have came up now. I had to reformat my computer the week, and after that the problem has occured.. a lot.
My problem is my computer locks up, stops responding all together, if left alone it reboots by itself, and when it's booting up, I can clearly see it's not finding my Master Drive.

I have a AOpen s661GXm-U, I used winflash and reverted my BIOS back to the original release.
Above that on their download center on their site, there is a beta BIOS, works only in DOS, but my Floppy drive doesn't want to work, at all.
Under the device manager, and under "Drives" I see I have these two hard drives, which appear to be the ones they refer to--> ST3120026A, and a ST3160023A. Now since I can't make a floppy boot disc, or for that matter really know how to... I'm in some serious need of some assistance..

Please, and thank you all in advance.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you reinstall ALL the drivers for video...sound card motherboard ...chipset

Purgatory

Purgatory

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
No, I haven't reinstalled them all. I did all that right after I reformated.. But I guess it wouldnt hurt to do it agian.

Any other suggestions?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
look at the manufactures sites for updated drivers/firmware...get XPs critical updates as well..look at software updates and harware updates at windows while you are there...also look in the device manager for any yellow ! marks or ? marks

Windows 2000/XP

You can use the Error-checking tool to check for file system errors and bad sectors on your hard disk.

* Restart Windows in Safe Mode. Click here for a guide on how to do this.
* Open My Computer by double-clicking on the My Computer icon on your desktop.
* Right click on the disk drive you want to check.
* On the drop down menu, left click Properties.
* Select the Tools tab.
* In the Error-Checking section, click the Check Now button.
* In the Check Disk Options section, tick the Automatically Fix File System Errors and the Scan for and Attempt Recovery of Bad Sectors check box.

* Click the Start button in the Check Disk window.

Scandisk will then run through the selected Hard Drive checking for fixable disk errors.

Edited by happyrck, 16 May 2006 - 09:45 PM.

Purgatory

Purgatory

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Okay, thank you, I'll give it all a shot.. if you or anyone else thinks of something, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
those symtoms could also be a hardware issue...so lets get speedfan...its free and it will tell us your temps and voltage's

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

after you download it click on the desktop ICON and use print screen or whatever screen capture program you like and post it back here

if your motherboard is not supported by speedfan the get motherboard monitor

http://www.pcworld.c...,RSS,RSS,00.asp