Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Updating to XP SP2 again

• Please log in to reply

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
HI and thanks everyone for all the help you have given me in the past. This one has me going in circles. :whistling:

I reinstalled XP using my disc and now would like to bring it back to SP2, however whenever I get it downloaded it gives me an error that says access is denied and then puts my system back to SP1.

The reason I reinstalled was because my computer would not stay off. When I hit the shut off, it would restart.

It stills does that.

Everything works fine, except it's SP1 and not SP2. Even before I did anything, everything worked fine, except shutting it off.

Ran Panda scan on line, Spy Bot, CCleaner and AVG. All of them found nothing.

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi coffedrinker!

Can you please do a search of your hard drive for the file svcpack.log. If it is found, open the file in Notepad and do a Find for the entry DoRegistryUpdates failed. Let me know if you find this in the svcpack.log file.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 16 May 2006 - 07:14 PM.

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Hi Fenor

Thanks for the quick reply. I did a search and did not find that file anywhere. Made sure that look at hidden files was checked and ran it again. Nothing found.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Are you sure the account you are logged in to has Administrator privileges?

Fenor

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
I'm the only one that use this computer. Just checked the user accounts in the control panel. It says that I'm the adminstrator.

Do you think I should get a hammer?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Even though hitting a computer with a hammer is thoroughly enjoyable, lets not go that far just yet. :whistling:

Please download the attached sp2fix.zip file and save it to your desktop. Once you have it downloaded, open the file and extract the sp2fix.bat file located inside of it to your desktop as well. Once it's extracted, double-click on the file to run it. You will see a window briefly appear and disappear, this is normal. After it is done, try installing SP2 again.

Fenor

Attached Files

Edited by Fenor, 16 May 2006 - 07:39 PM.

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Fenor

I just did another search and found these

svcpacl.dl_
svcpack.in_
svcpack.inf
svcpack.dll

But still not svcpack.log. Is that good??

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
That's fine you can't find the svcpack.log file. Please do what I said in my previous post.

Fenor

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Thanks Fenor

I posted that last one before your instructions. Sorry bout that. I tried that file then shut down Firefox, opened Explorer and it went further then before, but it still said access denied again. This time the box that was showing me what was going on disappeared first.

So I'm restarting the computer and gonna try again. Will let you know if restarting helped.

Thanks again for all your help.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
It takes alot longer then that to install SP2. It will only show that message at the end of the installation and then make you rollback to Service Pack 1. At what exact point in the installation process do you get the access is denied message?

Fenor

Advertisements

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
I was watching and saw backing up registry then creating retore point and then a bunch of files going by. The box vanished and then the warning popped up saying access denied. It did go further than in the past.

When I downloaded SP2 this afternoon, it did take a while. But now it seems that it's on the computer and when I go to the update page it just opens up and starts installing. Should I delete it? Where would it be?? And download the whole thing again?? Is it possible that the dowload file is bad?? I think I was checking email in firefox while it was downloading. Mistake?

Let me know will wait for your answer before restarting.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Go into the C:\WINDOWS directory and try again to find the svcpack.log file. Make sure you are able to view hidden files & folders. How to do that can be found HERE.

Fenor

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
FOUND IT!!!! Don't tell me my search is messed up too. You sure it's not the time for the hammer?? Just kidding.

Should I send you a copy? I'm looking for that line you asked way back when.

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Here's that file. I guess another question is why didn't the search find it??? But that can wait.

Thanks Fenor for all your help

Attached Files

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Let me know if you find it or not.

Fenor