Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SATA Drive Issues

• Please log in to reply

riveraider

riveraider

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I recently tried to install some memory that I later found out was not compatible with my system. Shortly after I installed it I got the blue screen of death. I figured since that was the only thing I changed, it must be the problem. So I removed the new memory and reinstalled the old, the computer worked normal for about 2 days then I stared getting a missing or corrupt hal.dll file error during startup. It said replace this file then reboot (or something close to that). I tried but my recover disk would not let me enter the repair console it only wanted to wipe the drive clean. Someone online suggested getting another SATA drive install XP on it use it as the Primary then just access the old SATA drive. The new one works fine but it will still not read the old SATA drive. During start up it says scan disk needs to be ran on the old drive and a bunch of unreadable sectors come up. I'm not to familiar with SATA drives. From what I read there is no master and slave, but am I possibly missing a setting that is making this drive un-accessible? Is it possibly something with the SATA cable plugs I have the new working one in slot 0, the old one in slot 1, and two empties slots 2 & 3? Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements