Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows "Media" Player?

• Please log in to reply

grc

grc

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Do the others play "media" also - or are they mostly set-up for just music?

Thx!

g ...

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi grc!

I great program that I use to play video files is VLC Media player which can be downloaded from http://www.videolan.org. For music I use Winamp which can be downloaded from http://www.winamp.com.

VLC doesn't play WMV (Windows Media Video) files that well yet, but most files are not in that format anyways, they are normally mpeg or avi, which VLC plays perfectly without the need to download any third party codec packs.

Fenor

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
I find that VLC plays all files with no problem whatsoever. Perhaps you just had a bad experience with a few files, Fenor ?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I barely have the need to play any sort of windows media file be it music or video, so the last time I used vlc to try to play that type of file it probably didn't support it yet.

Fenor

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I agree, VLC is legendary. The only thing it won't play are real files (eg .rmvb extension). Media Player Classic (MPC) takes care of this gap nicely. Also if you watch films with subtitles in other than DVD format then MPC is better for adjusting how the subtitles look. Finally, the one other player I use - when I need subtitles - is a clean and free proggy called Subedit. This one has amazing GUI functionality, you can stretch your movie and subtitles in every which direction. Unfortunately it does tend to be a little unstable with some files. There is certainly no need to go and BUY any media player software, good stuff is avaiable for free :whistling:

Digikiwi

Edited by digikiwi, 18 May 2006 - 01:00 AM.