Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows software counterfeiting?

• Please log in to reply

noni1969

noni1969

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi all,

I have just turned my computer on to find that i have been faced with a problem. On startup I received a message that I may be 'a victim of software counterfeiting'. Updates were done yesterday afternoon while I was surfing the web. I bought my pc approx 6months ago and it came with Xp Pro preinstalled on it and I never got the Xp pro disc with, however i do have the Xp home disc. How do I fix this problem so I dont get this message every time I turn my pc on?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you can contact microsoft directly...if you can prove that you purchased the system with no knowledge that the thing had pirated windows on it..then they may replace the os for you..and they will probably take legal action against the people who sold you the computer..

as far as your xp home disk..i'm gonna assume that that came with a diff computer?

noni1969

noni1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I have just sent an email to the place of purchase. I think its in my best interest to contact microsoft in regard to this. I thought it was odd when I received the computer that XP PRO was preinstalled and XP Home disc was in the packaging as well, so no the xp home disc didn't come with a diff computer.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
xp pro is on the machine but they gave you a home disk? that's shady indeed

noni1969

noni1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Yes thats right. I was so excited to get a new pc and get it up and running that when I realised it was infact XP Pro I was like wow bonus! but still thought, well why did I have the xp home disc!

noni1969

noni1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Should I wait to hear from the place of purchase or should I go ahead and contact Microsoft directly, if so how do I go about that?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i would contact microsoft directly...let me see if i can find some contact info

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts