Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

System running slow, random fatal error messages

• Please log in to reply

StaryEyes22

StaryEyes22

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello and thanks for reading .. I ran a hijack this report & was told to ask in this forum:
My computer sometimes runs fine, but others it's slow and I have started getting fatal error messages (occurring more often now) The screen turns blue with some code writing but restarts before I can read it and then a message box pops up that says something like "Windows has just recovered from a serious error", and asks me to send an error report to Microsoft. The Microsoft website says it's called a "stop error" caused from an "unknown device driver", but it then goes onto to say that they really don't know what the problem is or how to fix it. Could the music equipment I have hooked up be afecting my windows somehow? Also I have AVG free running ... thanks for any help you might be able to offer. - Genni
:whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
lets start with speedfan
This program monitors fan speeds, temperatures and voltages in computers with hardware monitoring chips. It can even access S.M.A.R.T. info for those hard disks that support this feature and show hard disk temperatures as well..........get it here

http://www.tucows.com/preview/226226

we are going to see if its a heat or voltage issue first

StaryEyes22

StaryEyes22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Sorry about taking so long to reply, I will try your suggestions and let you know how it turns out. Thanks again for trying to help out. :whistling:

StaryEyes22

StaryEyes22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm not sure how to use the speedfan program. The temperature readings are:
Local Temp: 46 degrees C
Remote Temp: 58 degrees C
HD0: 41 degrees C

I copied the following from the readings section:

I/O properly initialized
Linked ISA BUS at $0290
SMBus successfully enabled
Linked Intel 82801BA ICH2 SMBUS at $FC00
Found nVidia GeForce2 MX / MX 400
Linked nVidiaI2C0 SMBUS at $3D403E3F
Linked nVidiaI2C1 SMBUS at $3D403637
Scanning ISA BUS at $0290...
Scanning Intel SMBus at $FC00...
ADM1028 (ID=$D2) found on SMBus at $2E
Scanning I2CNVidia SMBus at $3D403E3F...
Unknown Winbond1=$EEEE ID=$EE on SMBus at $20
Unknown Winbond2=$EEEE ID=$EE on SMBus at $20
Unknown Winbond1=$EEEE ID=$EE on SMBus at $21
Unknown Winbond2=$EEEE ID=$EE on SMBus at $21
Unknown Winbond1=$EEEE ID=$EE on SMBus at $22
Unknown Winbond2=$EEEE ID=$EE on SMBus at $22
Unknown Winbond1=$EEEE ID=$EE on SMBus at $23
Unknown Winbond2=$EEEE ID=$EE on SMBus at $23
Unknown Winbond1=$EEEE ID=$EE on SMBus at $24
Unknown Winbond2=$EEEE ID=$EE on SMBus at $24
Unknown Winbond1=$EEEE ID=$EE on SMBus at $25
Unknown Winbond2=$EEEE ID=$EE on SMBus at $25
Unknown Winbond1=$EEEE ID=$EE on SMBus at $26
Unknown Winbond2=$EEEE ID=$EE on SMBus at $26
Unknown Winbond1=$EEEE ID=$EE on SMBus at $27
Unknown Winbond2=$EEEE ID=$EE on SMBus at $27
Scanning I2CNVidia SMBus at $3D403637...
SMART Enabled for drive 0
Found WDC WD1600JB-00GVA0 (160.0GB)
End of detection

I am going to start following the instructions now. If you could, please let me know what the speedfan stuff means, as you can tell I am not a wiz :whistling: Thanks.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
use printscreen to get a picture of the speedfan report and post it back here