Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

win xp home recovery disc

• Please log in to reply

sharar02

sharar02

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
:blink: dear guys and gals have a problem my sons computer has been out of use since christmas, needs
a clean install, but I do not have a winxp disc, and I do not want to buy one if there is a solution. I bought a new pc for christmas win xp home which has a recovery disc, can I use that to install on my sons computer
a clean install, I doubt it , but you never know, just a thought, and please could someone answer from europe my time zone, I am in Denmark Thanks all :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The recovery disc will install XP, it may even recover it, ask at the shop what the recovery CD is capable of

sharar02

sharar02

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
dear keith thanks for your quick reply, after reading the notes on my recovery cd software is preinstalled on my new pc so it is not possible to use it for installing on my sons pc win xp pro, as I could understand
from the notes the software is preinstalled on my hard disc?? looks like I will have to buy a new cd, for my son, thanks again sharar02

My2Cents

My2Cents

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

dear keith thanks for your quick reply, after reading the notes on my recovery cd software is preinstalled on my new pc so it is not possible to use it for installing on my sons pc win xp pro, as I could understand
from the notes the software is preinstalled on my hard disc?? looks like I will have to buy a new cd, for my son, thanks again sharar02

You are absolutely right ,you will have to buy a new one for you sons computer ,but having said that ,you say the computer has been down since December ,are you sure all it needs is a reinstall,what actually is it doing that he can't use it ,

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Sorry, I misread it and thought the PC you got at Xmas was the one in question

You could check with the supplier because you should have the option to re-install

sharar02

sharar02

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

You are absolutely right ,you will have to buy a new one for you sons computer ,but having said that ,you say the computer has been down since December ,are you sure all it needs is a reinstall,what actually is it doing that he can't use it ,

I started a topic at christmas on geeks2go empty device manager I had a good moderator helping me we tried everything, at the end of all the decision was to do a clean install, but I did not have a winxp pro disc
I bought my sons pc locally went to the shop but they refused to give me a recovery cd even though I produced my receit, so contacted microsoft, sent them a copy of my receit, they said I could have a discount,
but it would still be very expensive, and I could'nt afford it, so there you go the whole story, just have to save up and buy one thanks anyway guys :whistling:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
What exactly is the problem with that PC--that the device manager is blank?

That is clearly a malware infection--several result in this symptom.

I looked back at your original malware thread and it was closed as unresolved--why did you stop posting?

sharar02

sharar02

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Dear gerryf as I recall I was refered to another forum where there was a similar topic, yes I had serious
maleware problems and after exausting every fix, the solution was a clean install so I just left it at that.
yesterday my neighbour told me about a workshop where she fixes her PC, so I took my sons, and they agred to clean install it for me with a recovery cd, and half the price of what microsoft offered me, I am going to pick it up today. I am grateful for all the guys that helped me on this forum, and I like to read other topics which has helped me better understand my pc. I keep up to date now with the latest spyware maleware detectors and I have a very good virus program, all the security info is from you guys, I have learnt alot, and I am still learning, thanks to you, keep up all the good work god bless. sharar02

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting us know