Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connecting External HD

• Please log in to reply

Denisejm

Denisejm

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Hi,

I have 3 Maxtor external hard drives that I have firewired. I recently purchased an additional external hd that I have connected to a USB 1.1. When I boot up, I receive a message that says:

HI-SPEED USB Device Attached to non HI-SPEED Hub.
(yellow triangle with exclamation point in it) The hubs shown in bold type have free ports that can support the HI-SPEED USB device.
E VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller
-----E USB Root Hub (4 ports
----------E Unused Port
----------E Unused Port
----------E Unused Port
----------E Unused Port

I attached a portion of a Belarc Rpt about my hardware.

I have only 2 front and 2 rear ports left that I can connect this drive to (drive j) but I receive the same message for each one. Am I missing something?

Denise

Attached Files

Edited by Denisejm, 17 May 2006 - 07:35 AM.

Advertisements

Comnir

Comnir

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
According to what I've found, you chipset has only USB 1.1 controllers. On the other hand your SiS 7001, which is USB 2.0, has some issues which this article tries to solve.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
That is just a warning that your external drive can attain speed greater than your USB port supports. It will still work but you will notice how slow it is. USB 1.1 has a max speed of 12Mbps while USB 2.0 max speed is 480 Mbps. Reality shows the max speed USB 2.0 really reaches is around 240Mbps. Thios is still 20 times faster than USb 1.1.

SRX660

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you have a empty PCI slot you can get a PCI USB 2.0 hi speed with 4 slots for about $20.00...if you ad a 4 port hub to that..another $6.00...you will wind up with 7 USB 2.0 conections...you can daisey chain hubs and get over 100 hi speed ports although I don't know what anyone would need with that many

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Thanks SRX660 and Comnir for replying. All the problems that I'm having with my pc point to the same thing . . . BIOS. My pc is about 4 years old and I just added more RAM but I don't want to put anymore money into it because it really needs a new processor, fan and heatsink, graphics card, BIOS, etc, etc, etc. I'm hoping to be able to buy a new pc in about a year so I'll have to do with what I have until then.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. :whistling:

Denise

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
happyrck, thanks, I'll check it out. the guy at Staples usually helps me out with things like that . . . I bring my machine with me and I tell him what I need, he gets it off the rack and shows me where it has to go and how to install it. :whistling:

Denise

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Hi again,

I'm still working on the 2.0 speed problem.

I've had RegSeeker installed in my pc for months and I use most of the options often. Today, for the first time, I clicked "Installed Applications" just for the heck of it and it listed all the programs and updates that I have in my pc. One thing caught my attention that may be causing me the problem to connect to 2.0 hub.

RegSeeker > Installed Applications says: USB Storage Adapter FX (MXO) "n/a" and "version n/a"
RegSeeker > Installed Applications says: USB Storage Driver "n/a" and "version n/a"

Does this mean that I have to purchase and install an adapter, that I don't have a 2.0 connector?

Denise

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you check on a PCI USB 2.0 card...??? :whistling:

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
How would I do that? What does the card look like and about where would I find it in my pc?

Edited by Denisejm, 23 May 2006 - 07:41 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you will have to buy one and install it...go here

http://www.newegg.co...=&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

Advertisements

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
They look like the firewire card that I installed.

Will any one of them fit my pc, or do I need to buy a specific type, or do I just pick the one that I want that has 4 ports:

Koutech PCI to USB2.0 Card Model IO-PU520 - OEM

Data Transfer Rate: 480/12/1.5 Mbps
External USB Ports: 4x USB Ports
Features: NEC Chipset, Supports up to 127 devices in peer-to-peer configuration; PCI specification v.2.2 compliant; Hi-Speed USB 2.0 is up to 40 times faster than original USB; Hi-Speed USB 2.0 is fully compatible with original USB systems, peripherals and cables; Fully Plug-N-Play compatible
Internal USB Ports: 1x USB Port
Operating Systems Supported: Windows 98SE/Me/2000/ME/XP, Mac OS 8.6 or higher
Standard: USB 2.0
Type: PCI to USB Card

Model #: IO-PU520
Item #: N82E16815104216

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
ALL the PCI cards will fit in any PCI slot :whistling:

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Great . . . thanks rck :whistling:

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Hi,

I ran into a problem connecting the 2.0 card as soon as I opened the box. There aren't any screws for it. Is there a place on the net where I can buy pc screws?

Denise

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
If you've got a regular computer shop/tech person you deal with ask there. They should definitely have some spares around. Any dead computer will also provide you with an abundant source. You should only need 1 screw anyways.

Where did you get the card? shop or mail order? If shop hit them up and if it's too far to go again get them to mail you a couple.

You should be able to install, test and get it working without the screws for now. Just be real gentle when plugging in the USB cables.