Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Connecting External HD

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
digikiwi is right ...I have installed those USB cards into case's that dont have a screw hole to secure them down...just be gentle

Advertisements

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Thanks digikiwi, I have no dead pc's laying around or a computer tech that I go to, so that leaves out those 2 options. I bought the card from New Egg . . . I didn't know it was OEM. When I buy a shirt, it usually comes with buttons :whistling: Anyway, I'll eventually get screws for it.

But I'll try your suggestion about plugging it in without screws temporarily and put the panel back on.

Thanks again . . . Denise

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Hi,

Just thought I'd update you on my progress. Turns out, I already have a 4-port USB 2.0 card installed in my pc. The Seagate harddrives that I got came with only 1.0 cables so I connected them using them because the box said USB 2.0 compatible. When I was looking through my box of pc things, I found a cable that was included in the box with one of the Maxtor One Touch II hard drives that I bought and firewired, and a light went on in my head. I opened the other 3 Maxtor boxes and took out the other 3 cables and connected them to the 4 hard drives that were connected using the 1.0 cable and they worked. My computer kept telling me all along that I had 4 USB 2.0 ports but since I couldn't find them (I thought they were 1.0), I thought that my pc was crazy.

For the newbies out here, there's a huge difference in the appearance of the 1.0 and 2.0 cables but unless a person's used to dealing with hardware, it's not easy to know things like that. If anyone has the same problem, the 1.0 cables are black and the 2.0 cables are silver with red connectors (mine were, anyway).

Anyone need a brand new, unopened 4 port USB 2.0 card? :whistling:

Denise

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Just a FYI about Newegg. When they sell OEM, you don't get jack with it. I bought a OEM dual layer DVD R/RW and it didn't hava any screws or an audio cable. I sent them an email questioning that, and there response was "not included with OEM". So, if you buy an OEM shirt from Newegg, you will need to get some buttons for it!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
FYI anyone that sells OEM stuff doesn't add the "buttons"...it pays to read what is included with your purchase...I have got Nero burning software with OEM optical drives... :whistling:

Edited by happyrck, 02 June 2006 - 03:28 PM.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Yeah, I found that out about OEM, but my point is that if Seagate makes external hard drives that are 2.0 compatible, they'd include 2.0 cables, not 1.0, and I just checked the box and it says that 2.0 cables are included. :whistling:

My Maxtors give me a lot of trouble and I've returned each one of them at least once and one I returned 3 times (and I lost about a total of 700G of data and had to replace it), but at least they give the proper cables. My Seagates give me no problems at all, they purr along, but to be so cheap as to include downgraded cables is pathetic. I would have paid a few extra dollars for the drive if they included the 2.0 cables. Luckily, I didn't have to buy them since Maxtor was benevolent and I happened to be looking into my pc box for an electrical connector and found the 2.0 cable and put two and two together. I would have been hitting my head against the wall if I installed the 2.0 USB card and I continued to receive a message saying that I now had 8 2.0 ports and I wasn't using them. I would have thought that there was a problem with my pc or the new card. If I didn't run across the 2.0 cables and the lightbulb didn't go off in my head,
I never would have thought it was the cables because they worked.

About OEM, I could understand not including cables and software but screws are probably less than a penny each. It's inconvenient and petty not to include them.

About Seagate not including 2.0 cables with a 2.0 compatible hard drive confuses the h*ll out of hardware newbies.