Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Login prompt when mapping a drive

• Please log in to reply

vsalzman

vsalzman

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi. I have a user who is trying to map a drive to another PC on our network. When doing so, he receives a logon prompt. If he types his username and password, it will not authenticate, even when using his full domain name. This happens from both a Win2k and WinXP machine. We have tried both mapping via Windows Explorer and via Start>Run>\\networkpath. Everyone else in the organization is able to map the drive without receiving a prompt. I have checked his user account in Active Directory, he is a member of Domain Users and all other groups that he should be in. The Domain Users group has full permissions to the local drive on the PC he is trying to map to. I'm thinking that it is most likely a permissions or user account problem, but am not really sure what else it could be. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Certainly sounds like a permission issue.

Recall tho, that a NO permission overrides a Yes

You need to determine who or what group does not have permission to the sahre and work backwards

vsalzman

vsalzman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
The strange thing is that the users gets the login prompt when trying to map to any PC, not just the one.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
have you tried
a) removing the user from the domain users group, then re-adding him/her

b) creating a new group, and giving that group access, then adding user to group (as a test)

What are the share permissions for this object?

vsalzman

vsalzman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I haven't had a chance to remove him from the Domain Users group yet as he has been logged in all day and I don't want to drop him. I had that on my list of things to do first thing tomorrow AM. I'll also try the test group and see what that does.

The share permissions for his user object?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the share permission for the folder he cannot access

vsalzman

vsalzman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
He is trying to map to the root of the C: drive.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
why would he be doing that? For that matter, why would you let him? There's no reason for someone to map to an entire drive. It's a bad and unnecessary idea to share an entire drive.

File sharing is for sharing files, not drives. Now I am wondering if this is conflcting with the administrator shares.

vsalzman

vsalzman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
He is doing it because there are multiple folders on the PC that he needs to get to. I understand it is not the best way to do things and that there are many implications to this, however we are a very small business and this is how it has been done for many years and I do not have the power to change them.

Other users who have the same permissions as he does can map to the drive.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Why not put ALL the folders in one folder, share that folder?

You're asking for trouble somewhere when you share the OS drive

Well, that's off topic, though.

Try the two suggestions in post #4

(btw, was this share published in active directory, or do they just know where it is?

Advertisements

vsalzman

vsalzman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
That's what I am probably going to end up doing, putting all folders into one.

Yep, I agree, it's asking for trouble. Like I said, that's how it was and that's how it is still! I would love to change all of that, but we have too many users who resist change.

No, its not published, he just knows where its at. That is how most of the file sharing goes on around here, it's crazy!

Thank you!

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Windows XP firewall prevents the file sharing to work properly, a stupid but important thing to know. Myself here on my home network I had access to everything on the other computer but the other computer couldnt get into my files.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that's not really relevent here. This is an authentication issue.

But yes, it can, and the maddening thing about it is that when and why it sometimes blocks sharing seems completely random

vsalzman

vsalzman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I created a folder, moved all of the other folders that he needs into that folder and shared it. He is able to map to that shared folder. It still doesn't resolve the question as to why he is the only one who couldn't map to the root of C: on that PC, but at least he is able to get the data he needs. Thank you so much for all of your help!! If I ever figure out what is happening, I'll post the fix. Thanks again! :whistling:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I've just got to believe he belongs to some group somewhere that has explicit deny and it's just been foregotten

Incidentally, he once had permission to this and suddenly did not? (If so, why was the mapped drive unmapped)?