Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade To XP

• Please log in to reply

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
After the great upgrade to Windows XP, my applications disc that came with my HP says that it can't run because my PC is not an HP. But ironically, it is an HP! Also after the upgrade, my system properties don't state my computer is an HP Pavillion or anything. For example, under "System Properties", it does not list a manufacturer. Also under "System Manufacturer" in"System Information", it says "00101880 6736", and under "System Model", "15290700050430". The only thing I see right there is the model number, but that's under the "System Manufacturer" line <_<. I was able to change my system name back to the original "HPPAV" after the upgrade, but I don't know how to change these other things back.

Thanks,
Nathan

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

After the great upgrade to Windows XP, my applications disc that came with my HP says that it can't run because my PC is not an HP

Try looking on HP's site to see if they have a workaround.

Also after the upgrade, my system properties don't state my computer is an HP Pavillion or anything.

This is purely cosmetic. Actually, you can change ot to whatever you want. You could put mfg by Nathan, and use your pic for the Mfg logo <_< . This is simply a regisrty key, you can find many ways to change it either editing the the registry, or through third-party aps.

So, did you perform the upgrade or a clean install? What do you think of XP so far?

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
It was an upgrade. But after the upgrade, almost all my programs would say error messages when I tried to start them. So, I uninstalled the trouble programs, and only installed the apps I would actually use. They work fine now :D. I was able to get an HP wallpaper from SunnyS. So how do I change my system manufacturer and model? Where's that registry key? I have been using XP before this upgrade on my main machine, so it's nothing new. But the new GUI is a dream compared to ME. It really does look a lot better and no more weird error messages <_<.

There has been another problem after the update to XP. Right after the desktop is displayed, the floppy tries reading when there's nothing in there. It clunks and makes a lot of noise during this process. I have disabled the floppy boot in startup, but the floppy is still trying to read. How do I keep the floppy from reading duruing startup? Also, after a correct BIOS update, my floppy drive is the LOUDEST when you click on it under "My Computer".

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
I have called HP's tech support number. Since my PC is out of warranty, they said I can either pay them $40 or email their technical support to solve the application recovery cd problem. Of course, I chose to email them telling them about my problem.

Also:
Before the RAM upgrade, my system would run extremely slow and would keep nagging me that virtual memory was low. Now after the upgrade, smooth and no more nags. What was that thing about virtual memory?

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Part of the email from HP Tech Support:

The only way to get back the softwares is to return to the original operating system.

So I guess I can no longer get the software that came with my PC <_<. I really need the MS Works that came with the PC. I need something to help me work on my school projects at home :D.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Let me do some looking and see if I can find a workaround.

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
So how do I change my system manufacturer and model? Where's that registry key? Do you think running program compatibility work if I set it to "Windows 98/ME"? If so, I'll go over there and try it.

Thanks,
Nathan

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

So how do I change my system manufacturer and model?

Here's an easy program that will allow you to change OEM info, logo, and support info.

http://www.getafile....ow/PowerStd.exe

Download and Install, open the Window Power Toys folder, and click the OEM folder icon.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

So I guess I can no longer get the software that came with my PC . I really need the MS Works that came with the PC. I need something to help me work on my school projects at home

I haven't been able to find anyway to get around this. <_<

I'm sure it's because modifying XP to allow Works to install would probably be against HP's and Microsofts Terms of Service.

Have you looked at http://www.openoffice.org ? It's more powerful that Works, but I don't know if it's able to open files created in Works (I know it can open most Office documents).

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Thanks for the OEM link. Yes, I tried looking at OpenOffice.org and even tried downloading it. Problem is, the download is so huge for my dial-up connection. It would take hours and hours. I got to 65% downloaded when I had to shut off the system because someone came. I also thought I was going to be able to get Office XP Professional from my brother. I gave him the CD when I gave him our old PC. He said he did some housecleaning and probably threw it out <_<! I told him that was worth hundreds of dollars.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

I gave him the CD when I gave him our old PC.

Did you keep the CD key? If so, you can still legally install this software from another CD.

I sent you a PM about OpenOffice.

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Thanks, I finally managed to change my computer information. I have a cd key. How could I get another CD <_<? Thank you so much!

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Does you brother still use XP on your old PC. If so, you don't want to activate it on your machine, or you'll break his installation.

It's not illegal to make a backup of an XP CD. If you have a valid CD key you could use any XP CD to install it on your machine, however you'd likely have to call MS to activate it.

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
You kind of confused me admin <_<. He doesn't have XP anymore. He has the system that we had to downgrade to Windows 95. I gave him the Office XP Professional CD. He had that and probably threw it out. I don't need to activate XP, I already have it. I thought you were going to tell me a way I could get a new office cd or something like that.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

To obtain a replacement CD-ROM or manual, contact Microsoft Supplemental and Replacement Parts at (800) 360-7561; Microsoft may ask you to fax a copy of the store receipt.

If your copy of Office was preinstalled in a computer or distributed by an original equipment manufacturer (OEM), you must contact the OEM for a replacement.

If you acquired a copy of Office through the Microsoft Volume Licensing program (including an Open or Select license), contact the Microsoft Worldwide Fulfillment Office at (800) 248-0655.

Or, if you know someone who has Office XP, you may legally copy, or use those CD's install XP on your system--using your CD key. If your CD key has already been used to install Office XP on another computer, you'll likely have to call Microsoft to activate it.

If I remember prior to XP, the MS Office software license actually allowed it to be installed on two computers, a desktop and a laptop.