Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adding an external tape drive for back-ups

• Please log in to reply

Leehaa

Leehaa

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
How easy is this? :whistling:

My manager has gone on annual leave for a few weeks and it may be that I have to go to a client to install one for them.

I have no idea what make/model it is - though I should have some details when I get to the site (hopefully) with the drive itself.

All I know is it's external and it's SCSI but i need to attach the card for it to the motherboard.

I also need to remove the old one.

Yesterday I passed a MCP 70-271, which involved trouble-shooting hardware, device drivers etc - so i'm not completely clueless...

But I don't have any practical hardware experience, as started in first - line support and have kiind of managed to work my way up without having to do any "hands on"

Any advice? Am I panicking unnecessarily?

Cheers,

Leah

Advertisements

Leehaa

Leehaa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
No replies!
Does this mean it's quite hard to do??

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It just means not alot of people have occasion to do it or the topic was just missed, what i would do in your situation would be to find out the make nd model of the card that needs installed and go and get the manual from the manufacturers website and then read up on how to install it. I dont think it would be any more difficult to physically install the card than any other i cant say anything about tape drives because i havent seen one in a couple of years now they are kinda antiquated method of data storage.

You might have more bother installing any software required for it drivers should be easy but there may be automated backup software that needs configured you might need to know how to operate it.

When you install the card make sure you have all the proper tools with you, so anti static strap, precision screwdrivers and a set of pliers are the usuall, you will probably only need a screwdriver though but its good to be prepared if you dont have the tools nip down your local aldi or lidl you can pick up a nice little set for 3 quid.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the physical install should not be difficult...do as scot said and read every manual that you can get your hands on....most importantly the one for the SCSI card...once that's installed...crack open the tape drive's manual and read it's install steps....then the backup software manual.....they're usually pretty helpful

Leehaa

Leehaa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Thanks. I managed to find the order.

It's a: PV110T 100GB 80/160GB DCT VS160 tape drive

Controller card: Adaptec SCSI 39160 with 4m VHDI-68 pin cable...

Will research...