Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem booting to windows.

• Please log in to reply

guttermouth punk

guttermouth punk

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I came home this morning to get on my computer and it was halted after the POST, said:
DISK ERROR:
Unable to load from disk.

Or something along those lines. I restarted, looked at POST and my HDD wasn't detected.
So , I detected it in BIOS. Set it as main boot. It worked, windows started to load, showed the boot screen, and then before it brought up the desktop I get a BSOD and computer restarts before I can catch any glimpse of the error code.

Have any ideas?
GP.

EDIT: Also, yesterday while I was playing WoW , I wasn't getting major issues. But, when I Alt+Tabbed out to look something up on FireFox, my computer would slow down, and take a few to open FireFox. I guess the problem started here.

EDIT, EDIT: If no one has any ideas, would re-installing Windows work? I don't care much to format my HDD and redownload stuff (Not much to redownload, actually).

EDIT, OF EDIT, EDIT: Just got a few seconds in between classes, going to add that my HDD is SATA. When I get home I can actually be at the computer and will try some stuff, and I'll use my friends computer to follow up.

Edited by guttermouth punk, 17 May 2006 - 11:28 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
listing the actual blue screen error would help

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
might try this

if you can get into safe mode wih command prompt do this

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

if that fails then use the xp cd and do a repair...
and if that fails you will in all likelyhood have to reinstall windows

guttermouth punk

guttermouth punk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

I came home this morning to get on my computer and it was halted after the POST, said:
DISK ERROR:
Unable to load from disk.

Or something along those lines. I restarted, looked at POST and my HDD wasn't detected.
So , I detected it in BIOS. Set it as main boot. It worked, windows started to load, showed the boot screen, and then before it brought up the desktop I get a BSOD and computer restarts before I can catch any glimpse of the error code.

Have any ideas?
GP.

EDIT: Also, yesterday while I was playing WoW , I wasn't getting major issues. But, when I Alt+Tabbed out to look something up on FireFox, my computer would slow down, and take a few to open FireFox. I guess the problem started here.

EDIT, EDIT: If no one has any ideas, would re-installing Windows work? I don't care much to format my HDD and redownload stuff (Not much to redownload, actually).

EDIT, OF EDIT, EDIT: Just got a few seconds in between classes, going to add that my HDD is SATA. When I get home I can actually be at the computer and will try some stuff, and I'll use my friends computer to follow up.

Bold'd.
I got it working, it was [bleep]. It seems my harddrive is going semi-bad. Going to build a new, fresh computer in a few weeks.

Thanks for the help attempt guys :whistling: