Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot shut down system

• Please log in to reply

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
I ran AVG, SpyBot, Panda Online scan and CCleaner still everytime I want to shut off the comptuer, it restarts.

Have been holding in the power button to get it off, but don't think that's good.

Checked my temps, using Everest, all good. Did a defrag, not really a problem there.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
anything preceed this issue?

first place I would try is a BIOS update

The ability of windows to shutdown a machine is based on advanced power management, having this on or off in BIOS can result in odd issues like this.

Also, are we absolutely certain that it is really shutting down...sometimes, a computer will actually crash/cluescreen on shut down, resulting in what appears to be a reboot due to windows being set to automatically restart on system crashes

Right click MY COMPUTER< choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose START UP abnd uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Gerryf thanks for the quick reply.

I checked the properties, automatically restart is unchecked.

This started when I tried to remove my router and connect directly to my cable modem. Could not get on line directly so I reconnected the router. Then I shut down and it restarted. Everything else is running fine.

Will view my BIOS and see if anything changed. Will let you know if I find anything.

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Gerryf

I checked the BIOS and set it to the default, still doesn't shut off.

Looked at my power management and everything seems to be correct.

I will look into getting the BIOS updated. Since I've had this computer for a while.

Thanks for your help.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
did you turn APM off (or on)

Also, on some rare cases, this can result from a defective power supply and or motherboard.....but let's not go there yet

I also found this

http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Thanks for that link. Good reading. Will try some of the stuff there.

I changed the APM from suspense to ON and then OFF. Still restarts.

I'm looking for a BIOS update now, will try the things on the link you sent and see what happens.

Thanks for that link. Very Interesting.

Will post back with my results

Zoey Z

Zoey Z

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Have you check out if you can shut it down da normal way from Safe Mode [F8 when you restart] ?

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Hi Zoey Z

Thanks for that tip. Just tried it, sad to say after I restarted in safe mode (F8) I hit the shut off and it restarted again. Did it twice. Once as the Admin and the other using my name.

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Hi Gerryf

Just checked out MSI site for an update on my motherboard, there are no newer BIOS. Did download their live update utility and will run that again in a few months.

Going to read that link you sent me and will let you know. (my motherbaoard is an MS-6534 with an 1.7 Intel P4 chip) If that helps any.

Thanks again for all your information and help

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Hi gerryf

Ran the tests on that site you gave me, but it still doesn't shut off.

However, something strange happened. When I was unchecking the boxes using msconfig, as it said, I lost msconfig. Strange?? I restarted in safe mode and got it back. Have no idea.

But everything is working fine on the computer, except for the shut down. So I'm going to look at getting another power supply. Can't hurt.

Here's something else that's strange. While I was starting and restarting, I noticed that my DVD and CD-R lights were coming on at the point where it should be shutting down. Never noticed that before. Could that be the problem??

Thanks again for all your help.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you have probably already tried this ...system restore

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Hi happyrck

Thanks for the suggestion, but I turned it off a while back. Had a virus in there and was driving me batty. Got it gone, but never turned it back on.

It's on now.

Lesson Learned.

Looked around and found that it "could be" the power supply. Which I don't really understand, but what the heck. I'll try anything at this point.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
those symtoms could also be a hardware issue...so lets get speedfan...its free and it will tell us your temps and voltage's

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

after you download it click on the desktop ICON and use print screen or whatever screen capture program you like and post it back here

if your motherboard is not supported by speedfan ... get motherboard monitor

http://www.pcworld.c...,RSS,RSS,00.asp

Edited by happyrck, 17 May 2006 - 07:43 PM.

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Hi happrck

I have never printed the screen. Read how to do it, but it's not working.

My HDD temp is 27C/ 81F

I have Everest on my computer. Is there something in that I should check??

Thanks for telling me about speedfan. The motherboard monitor didn't have my motherboard in it. I have a MSI-6534

And thanks for your help on this

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what we want is your cpu temps motherboard temps and the voltages on the +12..+5..and the +3.3 lines
did speedfan give you those...by the way the harddrive temp is ok