Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xp continual reboot

• Please log in to reply

gregg1888

gregg1888

• Pip
  • 3 posts
In need of some help please peeps :whistling:

I'm running xp home edition & my pc has gotten into a continuous cycle of rebooting.

Upon starting the p.c I am confronted with the black screen that offers the option of safe mode; last known configuration that works etc... None of these options allow me to break this cycle of reboot & I am unable to access my desktop to try to run any utilities etc...

I have tried inserting the xp installation c.d to no avail also.

When I tapped f5 I finally got a message that has identified my problem "C:\WINDOWS\DBLBUFF.SYS" file missing or corrupt. (I only got this hint after turning off the option to restart upon system failure.)

I have searched the problem on google to no avail & hope that you might be able to assist me with this problem. There have been no recent hardware or software changes to my system.

Thanks in anticipation, regards gregg

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I have not seen that error since windows 98....are you sure that you did not install an older program that might have installed a configuration file..windows xp does not use that file anymore

gregg1888

gregg1888

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks for taking the time to reply gerry. So far as I know the programs that were fairly recently added were functioning correctly. I am not aware of any of them being windows 98 os, but would appreciate any suggestions towards resolving this problem. thanks again, gregg.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this

if you can get into safe mode wih command prompt do this

Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

if that fails then use the xp cd and do a repair...

Edited by happyrck, 18 May 2006 - 05:52 PM.

gregg1888

gregg1888

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks for the reply. tried to do a repair last night with no joy unfortunately I will try the first option tat you suggesed with my fingers crossed:)thanks