Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Mobo.. won't post

• Please log in to reply

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Ok so I'm back. My previous problems are documented in this thread: http://www.geekstogo...LP-t112216.html

So I've installed the new mobo and cpu. I also put in a compatible and new power supply. When I start the computer up, the cpu fan starts but the computer won't post. I have checked and rechecked the connections and unhooked all devices. Even the case fan won't spin. Any ideas?? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
case fans are connected to the power supply or the motherboard?

Do the drives spin up?

First guess is inadequate power supply, second guess is fried cpu

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
the case fan is hooked to the mobo. The drives wouldn't spin up. I was extra cautious with the cpu and put thermal compound on the cpu (very very little) so I don't know how it would have fried. Now I went back and redid the connections and nothing will come up. The cpu fan won't even start.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
sounds like the power supply died or is dying

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
ok.. well now.. it will post. It sees the HDD master but it doesn't see the CD-ROM. So naturally it comes up and says Boot Failure: System Halted. I can't really do anything without the CD-ROM working.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
get into your bios by starting the computer and tapping the delete key ..usually..might be something else..watch the screen..once in the bios find the boot order section...set it to floppy first...CD drive 2 nd..and the hard drive 3 rd

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
there's no way to set the boot order with CD second. The CD-ROM won't show up in the bios. I already cleared the CMOS and reset the default settings. The cd drive will spin up.. but it's not recognized.

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
the CD-ROM spins like crazy but the bios just doesn't see it. I don't understand what's up. It sees the HDD fine. I just need the cd to work so I can format and install windows.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I just went back to the thread you refered to in post #1...you were going to reinstall windows at the end of that thread...the start of this thread has you starting with installing new motherboard cpu and power supply...?????
in the other thread you weren't having any hardware issues...a bad install of norton....I'm confused..perhaps you can recap for me

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
I'm too tired to recap. The mobo on the other one went out basically.

I've solved the problem. A cable wasn't all the way in. Yes, feel free to slap me. HARD. I guess that's what I get for working 17 hour days.

*sigh*

sorry to bother everyone.