Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Could this be a HACK attempt?

• Please log in to reply

grc

grc

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Today, coming out of a hibernation, I was prompted by my firewall program that it "detected" a "New Network". The IP address (numbers) were all the same, except the last one (mine ends in a .1 - this "New" one ended in .0). I called my ISP tech support right away, and they were pretty much useless (as they seem to be more and more often than not). I have been doing a great deal of downloading the past several days (clean-up programs, and security stuff like ad-aware and spybot, etc. - a lot of stuff). A couple were apparently not compatible with what I had/have as they would immediately, automatically restart my PC upon opening them (Everest/ihippo.com - [discontinued I later found out], and either WinAudit or WinSnap - I forget at the moment).

Anyway, I have also been trying to revive this old PC by clearing out the old/un-used and generally just trying to make space and make security. Could this be a hack attempt on my DSL Windows 2000?

Thanks in advance - g ...

Oh, also, I was trying to do something (again, don't recall, probably download or view something) and I got a message entitled:

"Install Windows Internet Explorer" and;
"Setup could not verify the integrity of the files needed for installation. Make sure the Cryptographic service is running on this computer" - uh, help please!?!

Edited by grc, 17 May 2006 - 06:09 PM.

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I don't think it is a Hacking attempt, just a change in IP, my netwrok dose it from time to time. Nothing serious.

The Cryptographic service is nothing serious either, Go Start > Run > and in the box type "services.msc" with out the quotes.

In the list you will see Cryptographic services. The error indcates that it is not runing.

Right click it press "properties" and set the "Startup Type" to auto.

grc

grc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks Michael - but "Cryptographic Services" is not in that list - could it be called something else in Windows 2000 (?) - and by the way, thanks for the reassurance.

g ...

Edited by grc, 17 May 2006 - 06:57 PM.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
It should be. Maybe it is not installed. Are you sure it is not there?

This link might help solve the problem
http://searchwinit.t...i994336,00.html

Edited by Michael, 17 May 2006 - 07:00 PM.

grc

grc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

It should be. Maybe it is not installed. Are you sure it is not there?

This link might help solve the problem
http://searchwinit.t...i994336,00.html

Yes, I am sure, at least not by that name (the list is alphabetic, and I went through it three times).

Thank you for the link, I will try that.

Thx again - g ...

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Your welcome :whistling:

Please tell me how it gose when you have finished trying to fix it, or tell me if anything goes wrong.

Edited by Michael, 17 May 2006 - 07:09 PM.

grc

grc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I am now recalling that I had ENCRYPTED some stuff - AND, accidently checked "Hidden" in the properties of my Hard Drive attributes. This is probably my problem isn't it (?) - more importantly, how can I get that Hidden file back? I also have a file that will not allow me to change it's "Read-only" attribute. I've tried everything I can think of, and it keeps going back to "Read-only"

H-e-l-p please!

Edited by grc, 17 May 2006 - 08:37 PM.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
"ENCRYPTED" just means the file has a password, not that it is hidden.

To unhide hidden files

Not that I recomend doing so I recomend keeping hidden files hidden, they are normaly hidden for a reason.

In Windows Explorer Go
Tool > Folder Options > View
under
"Hidden Files and Folders" select "Show Hidden Files and Folders"

You sould not be able to see hidden files and find that file you lost.

What is the name of the Read Only File? Can you open it in any program and chose "Save File As" and save it under a different name? Have you tried copying the file to another folder (not moveing, copying) and changeing it there?

Are you trying to say that some operating system file is missing? If so get out you Windows 2000 CD and put it in you CD drive. If you puts up a Window, close it.
The Go
Start > Run > type "sfc /scannow" with out the quotes
You will see a little box come up with a blue bar in it when that gose (it dose so when the bar reaches the end and with out telling you it is doing so) restart the computer. Has the problems been solved?

grc

grc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thank you Michael very much for your continued help - these procedures will take me awhile (as it is late here, and I just took my sleep-tablet), I am going to try to do this tonight (yesterday for you - lol) - also, I did an "undo" in the Spybot S&D I just downloaded yesterday (this program is VERY cumbersome - and SLOW to work) - this program is really over-kill for my PC (I think).

Thanks again - I need to get to work! BTW - The "Hidden" file was not hidden, until I checked "Hidden" accidently instead of "Read-only" and too-quickly clicked on "Apply".

Edited by grc, 17 May 2006 - 09:08 PM.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Have a nice day at work.

Spybot S&D is a great program, and some malware experts here recomend it to every one. It dose load a bit slow though. An I not sure I would call it an over kill, it is needed safty.

Edited by Michael, 17 May 2006 - 09:08 PM.

grc

grc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks - BTW - The "Hidden" file was not hidden, until I checked "Hidden" accidently instead of "Read-only" and too-quickly clicked on "Apply".

And I suppose I'll keep the Spybot - for now at least (?) - though I do have several other similar programs.

Edited by grc, 17 May 2006 - 09:15 PM.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Well then make sure you undo the setting change after you change the file to not hidden.

Hope I am not makeing you late for work :whistling:

What other programs to do you have?

Edited by Michael, 17 May 2006 - 09:18 PM.