Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blank Homepage

• Please log in to reply

steve1953

steve1953

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi,

Can anyone help please.

My friend has a website that she needed to update with some new pages.

She made the changes in Dreamweaver 8 and then uploaded the whole set of files to her website using the www option in lieu of the ftp.

Now, when we try to go to her website, it's just a blank page.

Can anyone offer some help with this problem ???

Thanks,

Steve.

Edited by steve1953, 17 May 2006 - 10:40 PM.

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I get the same thing with my FTP program every now and then the files will up load but when I look at their size they are 0KB

The only way to fix it seames to be to reupload the files. Have you tried that?

steve1953

steve1953

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks for replying Michael,

Yes, I did try re-uploading the files, and that didn't work either, so I deleted all the files from the website, then uploaded them again.

Shall I copy and paste the page code here ??

Thanks,

Steve.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Don't paste the code here (if it was made in Dreamweaver it would be very ugly code), were trying to upload files, not check their code.

Have you got an FTP program to try uploading it with. Have to got any error messages? Are you sure you settings are correct?

steve1953

steve1953

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I'm using WS_FTP Pro.

What should I be looking for in the settings ??

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Anything that looks wrong password, username, binary or ASCII mode. I don't have the program so can't really say. I use FireFTP which is a extention for FireFox.

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
i suggest u to download SmartFTP Client. after 30 days u get a reminder every time u open it to try to get u to register, but u don't have to - the program is free.

steve1953

steve1953

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi Tank101,

I downloaded smart FTP Client as you suggested, and couldn't use the site login because it kept changing my login name to "Anonymous"

Then I'd get the response "Login incorrect" and the usual disconnect from server stuff.

Any way to correct this ??

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
there's a button on the bar where u put ur login information that says 'anonymous'. click it to toggle anonymous/non-anonymous.

steve1953

steve1953

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks Tankz101,

I already went to "New Browser" and logged on.

Then the www version of the site came up where I uploaded the new files AND:

The home page came up when the transfer completed.

So, you helped me solve the problem.

Thanks very much.

Regards,

Steve.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Hi,

Can anyone help please.

My friend has a website that she needed to update with some new pages.

She made the changes in Dreamweaver 8 and then uploaded the whole set of files to her website using the www option in lieu of the ftp.

Now, when we try to go to her website, it's just a blank page.

Can anyone offer some help with this problem ???

Thanks,

Steve.

Just out of curiousity since I don't use Dreamweaver 8, what extension would these files be in and are they flash or standard HTML files? I use SmartFTP and you need to set the Options to Auto so that the FTP app will choose between binary or ascii. Possibly for the Dreamweaver files, if they are in some other extension, the extension may have to be added to SmartFTP.

If you will log in normally with SmartFTP, leave it connected after it has properly connected to server, click on the Remote window and select Disconnect. If you close SmartFTP with your Username and PW still in the window, it will save it for you and auto connect next time you open it.

Not offering much help without the experience of Dreamweaver 8, but have used SmartFTP for years. I sometimes have several servers (4) connected at one time. Windows get smaller, but it works. LOL

Ron

steve1953

steve1953

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi Ron,

Thanks for the reply.

I downloaded SmartFTP and used it.

This solved the problem.

All the files were in HTML format.

Dreamweaver is good for creating websites and layouts with all the Graphical "Jingles" But not much good at uploading the data.

SmartFTP worked where WS_FTP Pro failed miserably.

Regards,

Steve.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Hi:

Glad you got it going. Thought you were having problems getting SmartFTP to remember your login info, etc. I love SmartFTP since it automatically brings up the local and remote windows and adjusts them the way I like each time. Some improvements could be made, but it is simple and easy to use.

I have the complete Dreamweaver Suite, but learning curve for me is back over my head in a loop. :whistling:

Ron